Around the Ivies

By Caroline Berens, The Dartmouth Staff | 9/24/15 8:11am

Brown University: The University released results for its largest-ever campus climate survey that detailed accounts of sexual assault on campus on Monday, administered through the American Association of Universities, the Brown Daily Herald reported. The survey found that the majority of female students who experienced sexual assault did not report the incident and that 25 percent of undergraduate women reported experiencing sexual assault.
Columbia University: A recent survey revealed that the number of sexual assault reports, findings of responsibility and expulsions have increased in the 2014-2015 academic year, the Columbia Daily Spectator reported. Despite this, the university will not require students to re-attend an initiative focused on sexual respect education this semester.

Cornell University: Cornell also released results for the AAU sexual assault survey this week, The Cornell Daily Sun reported. With a response rate of 19 percent, the survey found that sexual harassment rates were highest for female undergraduates at 67 percent and transgender, genderqueer or gender non-confirming students at 69 percent.

Harvard University: As reported by the Harvard Crimson, the results of the AAU sexual misconduct survey at Harvard revealed what leaders called a “troubling” climate of sexual assault at the University. Of the senior undergraduate females who responded to the survey, 31 percent reported experiencing some form of sexual assault in their time on campus.

Princeton University: According to The College Scorecard, Princeton has the lowest average annual cost in the Ivy League, The Daily Princetonian reported. The College Scorecard, a website released by the White House earlier this month, defines annual cost as the average annual net price for federal financial aid recipients, after taking into account all aid given. At $8,413, Princeton costs nearly half of the national average.

University of Pennsylvania: Lawrence Lessig, an alumna of the university’s Wharton School of Business recently entered the 2016 presidential race, the Daily Pennsylvanian reported. Lessig is a strong proponent of fighting special interest corruption and restricting campaign contributions from corporations. He joins fellow Wharton graduate Donald Trump in the race to the White House.

Yale University: Yale was also among the universities that completed the AAU sexual assault survey. Yale President Peter Salovey described the results as “extremely disturbing,” the Yale Daily News reported. Over half of the students who responded reported experiencing some form of sexual harassment since their arrival on campus, with female respondents reporting at a rate of 74 percent and those who do not identify as male or female reporting at a rate of 84.2 percent.

Caroline Berens, The Dartmouth Staff