What You Told Your Parents About Sophomore Summer

By Fiona Ewing, The Dartmouth Staff | 7/12/15 12:08pm

It’s finally sophomore summer — the term we’ve all been looking forward to since day one of freshman fall. Each of us has our own expectations of what this term would be like for quite some while. But your plans for this summer are probably a bit different from what you told your parents— aren’t they?

Sophomore summer is often heralded as the term of “getting to know your class,” and your parents are probably expecting you to get so close to everyone that you’ll still remember them at your forty-year reunion. But, you really plan on being as anti-social as ever, refusing to associate with anyone, but your close-knit group of friends. Now you’ll just be doing it with a bit of a tan.

Courtesy of Warner Bros. Television / via badbirereads.com

Maybe you told your parents that you’d be getting in shape with the extra bit of free time you’ll have this summer. But the gym closes early in the summer (at 8 p.m.). What else is left to do at night but devour wings and nachos at late night FoCo? (If late night Foco were in fact open this summer #rip).

Courtesy of Walt Disney Pictures / via tumblr.com

You probably also told your parents that you’ll be active in summer recruiting, putting in that extra effort to score a solid internship. And yeah, it would be nice to do some networking, but let’s be honest, you’re just hoping to get your resume in by that deadline.

Courtesy of Warner Bros. Television / via billypenn.com

Chances are your parents are definitely expecting that you’ll be taking advantage of the great outdoors, maybe by going on a hike or heading down to the river for a swim or a day of canoeing with friends. And yeah, you’ll do some of that, but once you’ve scoped out campus for places with air conditioning, you’ll also be spending a lot of time indoors trying to avoid the heat.

Courtesy of Walt Disney Pictures / via buzzfeed.com

Seeing that sophomore summer’s around the midpoint of our Dartmouth careers, your parents are probably hoping that you’ll start buckling down and working on raising those grades. But little do they know that you’re only taking two classes and two classes can only raise your GPA so much. But hey, they’ll probably still be pleased by your grade in Astro.

Courtesy of Marc Platt Productions / via joinblush.com

So in the end, sophomore summer may not be all that different from the rest of our terms here at Dartmouth. But hey, the weather’s great, life is good and it’s still sure to be a fun time.

Fiona Ewing, The Dartmouth Staff