Instagram Profiles: Fruit of the FoCo

By May Mansour, The Dartmouth Staff | 2/16/15 2:29pm

I would like to preface this story by saying that I am no fan of fruit. Don’t get me wrong, I totally understand its nutritional value — after all, it does have a huge spot in the food triangle/pyramid/plate/whatever shape the federal government and pediatricians everywhere are trying to make “fetch” these days.

But reaction gifs aside, I must admit I never thought I would find someone who shared my strong sentiments about the earth’s plentiful bounties until I found instagrammer @fruitofthefoco, who posts daily pictures of rotten fruit from FoCo accompanied by witty captions and hasthtags. As far as our “research team” could tell, @fruitofthefoco is the first and perhaps only instagram of its kind dedicated solely to mocking the sketchiness of DDS fruit. So, with the blessings of my editor, I set out to see just how closely my own views and those of “Fruit of the FoCo” might align. Six cups of coffee and an all-nighter later, after finally scrolling through an exhaustive list of all 43 photos posted by the account, I had finally come to a conclusion. Fruit of the FoCo may be the best thing to happen to instagram in a long time, and if you don’t agree with me, then here are the top eight most persuasive arguments offered by the account:

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

If that wasn’t enough, perhaps you’ll be convinced by the update that @fruitofthefoco has branched out to feature #fruitofthenovak and random FoCo fruit spotted around campus. Can you say “comprehensive”?

7.

8.

So the next time you pick up a bad apple at FoCo or Novak, remember: if you see something, say something.

May Mansour, The Dartmouth Staff