Appetizing April: A DDS Food Face-Off, Round 5

By Katie McConnell, The Dartmouth Staff | 4/30/14 9:00am

The day is finally upon us — the final round of Appetizing April! It is time to pick the ultimate food item offered by Dartmouth Dining Services.

Last week’s results:
Chocolate Chip Cookies (FoCo) 65% > Smoothie (Collis) 35%
Brie and Apple Sandwich (KAF) 67% > Chicken Tender Queso (Hop) 33%

It is down to either FoCo’s Chocolate Chip Cookies or King Arthur Flour’s Brie and Apple Sandwich. The cookies have probably been large contributors to many a freshman 15. You were just trying to get some salad, but FoCo makes it so that in order to get to the greens, you have to pass by the oh-so tempting cookies and end up eating dessert while you browse, naturally. The brie and apple sandwich isn’t that much healthier and is another way to carbo-load. It’s time to pick our poison.

Is the choice too difficult? Are you feeling indecisive? Do you dream of a way to have them both? How about trying the two favorites at once by having a chocolate chip cookie grilled cheese sandwich? Apparently some bloggers are a fan of this sweet and salty combo. I remain skeptical.

New food combinations are all the rage (think the cronut or the recent wonut), and I think it’s time that Dartmouth makes its own unique contribution to the trend. Rather than sandwiching the Brie and apple between a baguette, 2 chocolate chip cookies could be the vehicle for the fruit and cheese combo. The creation does not lend itself to an easily hybridized name, mostly because there are too many ingredients. Brapple choco-chip cookie sandwich? Eh, it needs some work. Can someone try this combo and report back? Regardless, we have stalled long enough – it is time to make the choice!

THE FINAL POLL:

I have officially run out of things to say about DDS foods for a long time. Or at least until the beginning of May, when I will announce the winner. Once the votes have been tallied, the decision is final. The number one DDS food will begin their reign immediately. Thank you to everyone who has stuck with me all month!

Katie McConnell, The Dartmouth Staff