Appetizing April: A DDS Food Face-Off, Round 2

By Katie McConnell, The Dartmouth Staff | 4/11/14 4:00am

Since over 400 of you voted in the polls last week, it seems like food really is a priority for many of us. Some have noted that I didn’t seed the entries, and that was intentional — I wanted to use the polls to answer some of my personal research questions about what is the top choice between relatively similar types of offerings. Also, I didn’t include Novack (or the East Wheelock Snack Bar for that matter) because they don’t offer nearly as many freshly made options as the other dining locations do.

Collis:

Mozzarella sticks (52% of the votes) barely beat out chicken tenders (48%) to move on to the next round. This one was of particular interest me since I can never seem to choose between the two at Late Night Collis. Luckily, it’s generally pretty easy to get both and avoid the decision-making! Mozzarella sticks will be competing against stir-fry (64%), which beat sushi (36%) by a wide margin. I have been on a fresh sushi kick lately (partly because I don’t want to wait in the long pasta or stir-fry lines) so I would have chosen differently. But, the people have spoken!

So begins the next Collis face-off – mozzarella sticks or stir-fry?

Pasta and smoothies defeated soup and baked goods respectively with about two-thirds of the vote – many seem to prefer the option to customize over variety. While the soup and baked goods definitely have some stand-out offerings, the constant change makes some of the choices decidedly meh. My favorites are the butternut squash soup and seven layer bars – be sure to check them out next time they are available!

What wins out – pasta or smoothies?

FoCo:
Chocolate chip cookies won against French fries with the highest percentage of votes (80%) in all of the polls (potential leader?). The salty fried potatoes really hit the snacking spot, but simply can’t compete with the gooey and irresistible hot chocolate chip cookies. Pizza (57%) also edged out paninis (43%) – it’s important to note that paninis are only offered during FoCo lunch, which fewer people attend than dinner.

Which consistent classic would you pick — chocolate chip cookies or pizza?

Dartmouth students seem to prefer their chicken saucy and spicy a la General Tso’s (65%), which won over chicken nuggets (35%). Truthfully, the winner is just the same fried chicken glorified with sauce and offered less often, adding to its appeal. Pierogies (57%) and their sautéed onions just barely defeated the classic sweet potato (43%), a Herbivore favorite.

So do you load your plate up more when there is General Tso’s chicken or the doughy-mashed potato pierogies?

KAF:
The brie and apple sandwich (77%) beat the artichoke tapenade (23%) in a landslide. I personally am a fan of the tapenade, but it’s probably not something that you would want to eat every day. I think we can all support the reintroduction of sandwiches at KAF though (after my first post had already been published). Unfortunately, the chicken salad sandwich (a personal favorite) has yet to resurface. Also, it pains me to say that cupcakes trumped cinnamon puffs. Those sugary puffs are my go-to breakfast treats, but the cupcakes are certainly great in the afternoon!

Do you go for the brie and apple or a cupcake?

Scones (51%) and muffins (49%) had the tightest race of the polls — they seem to be equally effective means of including blueberries (and other ingredients!) in baked goods. Those of you trying to go for the green salad over the other gluten-heavy options prefer the Caesar salad over the kale slaw.

Would you rather eat a scone or a Caesar salad?

Hop:
Not everyone seemed to make it all the way down the page to vote for this location — or perhaps they just don’t feel as strongly about it. Regardless, chicken tender queso (79%) is a clear favorite compared to the hulk (21%). The former satisfies both chicken nugget, quesadilla and sauce cravings – need I say more? Still, the hulk is a protein-laden choice for a post-workout meal. About two-thirds chose mac and cheese over meatball sub, but the sub is a newer option that may eventually gain more of a following.

Which cheesy option would you choose: chicken tender queso or mac & cheese?

The burger special (59%) defeated the burrito (41%). To be honest, I’ve never actually eaten a burger at the Hop, so maybe it is time to try it. The breakfast sandwich (72%) also trumped hash browns (28%). Many of the combinations at the Hop actually include hash browns so you can get the best of both worlds.

Do you tend to order a burger or breakfast sandwich at the grill?

Katie McConnell, The Dartmouth Staff