Finals Food Timeline

By Caela Murphy, The Dartmouth Staff | 3/5/14 5:00am

8:00 a.m. – Your alarm goes off. Come on, 8 a.m.? Who are you trying to fool — you promptly fall back asleep.

10:30 a.m. – You wake up for real this time, grab everything you need for the day and head to KAF.

10:45 - 11:00 a.m. – You wait in line. With each passing minute you assess the dwindling stock. Your heart sinks as the person in front of you orders the last yogurt parfait, but you settle for granola with milk and a large coffee.

11:00 a.m. – You wander through Baker-Berry looking for an available spot, silently cursing the try-hards who actually woke up at 8 a.m. and have stolen all of your preferred haunts. You eventually find room on Stacks level five. At this point you have finished your coffee, so at least you can check that off the list.

11:15 a.m. – You set up shop and skim through your readings while you eat. But constantly switching back and forth between your granola and your earth sciences textbook is distracting you, so you decide to hold off on the work while you focus on the task at hand: breakfast.

11:35 a.m. – One KAF granola cup and four BuzzFeed articles later, it’s go time. Let the productivity begin!

12:15 p.m. – After a hellish 40 minutes of work, you’re more than ready for a break. Lunchtime! Knowing that you’ll be spending every other waking hour of this week in the library, you treat yourself by venturing over to the Hop. You inevitably end up doing to-go and eating in the library anyway, but it was good to get some fresh air during the walk back and forth.

1:00 p.m. – Satisfied with your tender queso, you settle in and actually get some work done.

2:30 p.m. – All this scholarly exertion has worked up your appetite. You’re not sure you can justify buying a snack now that your DBA is negative, but you’re also worried that the person sitting next to you will murder you if your stomach growls one more time. You blitz out to your friends, hoping someone with extra DBA will come to your rescue.

2:40 p.m. – Your savior answers you and you race down to KAF, opting for a spread. You are then informed that they’re out of rolls. Uncomfortable with the idea of eating a tub of cinnamon-cider cream cheese on its own, you decide to get a baguette – after all, you’re going to need the extra nourishment for the paper you’re about to start.

6:00 p.m. – You’re only about 1/5th of the way done with your paper, but on the bright side you’re nearly 4/5th of the way done with your baguette. At this point, you might as well just take a page from Trips and yum-yum it. Once that’s out of the way, you can really concentrate on your work.

7:45 p.m. – You’ve added 100 words and a creative title. Dinner time! You’re not quite hungry after your mid-afternoon baguette, but you know that you’ll need sustenance for the long night ahead. You’ve done enough walking outside for the day, so you skip FoCo and order delivery from The Orient instead.

8:15 p.m. – Dinner is served! The diverse, savory aromas seem out of place against the bleak backdrop of the Stacks, so you make your move to 1902 for the night.

9:45 p.m. – Your friend with extra DBA blitzes out. They ordered a dozen KAF cupcakes and need to get rid of them. Not one to let down a friend in need, you gladly take a couple.

12:00 a.m. – Break for Collis mozz sticks. ‘Nuff said.

1:45 a.m. – By now, you’re no longer in denial and are ready to embrace your all-nighter. Novack is about to close, so you hastily buy a cup of coffee and whatever food they have left. Pepperoni hot pocket and an Odwalla? Sure, why not.

3:30 a.m. – Desperate expedition to the Russell Sage vending machine.

6:45 a.m. – By some miracle, you’ve finished your paper – with a whole hour to spare! Reward yourself and the friends you’ve made in 1902 with a rousing trip to Lou’s.

7:00 a.m. – Pass out in your plate of French toast.

Caela Murphy, The Dartmouth Staff