V-February: Voices

By Fiona Ewing | 2/14/14 7:00am

I have always believed that everyone has a burden to bear. However, I have always viewed these burdens as secrets that we must keep to ourselves, so that people do not judge us, or even worse, consider us troubled or not normal.

On Wednesday night I went to the V-February “Voices” production, where self-identifying women shared their personal experiences through monologues. The performances ranged in theme, covering issues of sexuality, femininity and empowerment.

I knew I would not relate to every single story, but I was amazed by just how much that didn’t matter. Yesterday’s audience responded to every performer with nothing but wholehearted understanding, acceptance and support.

Every time a performer walked offstage, I felt as if I had gained something. Part of me felt like I had gained a friend, because I felt like I was trusted with what I would normally view as incredibly personal information.

I was so impressed by how brave the people on stage were for sharing their stories, thinking that there was no way that I could ever possibly do the same. But the women speaking made me realize that there is no reason for us to be ashamed for our struggles, because they by no means define who we are.

After 18 years of struggling with social anxiety, yesterday was the first time I have ever heard someone else speak so openly about the feelings I used to experience every day. Written and performed by Alexandria Leach ’14, “Speak Up” focused on the difficulty of having her voice be heard.

“Silence is my freedom, but it is also my jail,” Leach said. I completely understood her statement, that explained the frustration of knowing that she was the only one getting in her own way by not speaking up and letting her voice be heard.

I initially thought that hearing the stories of other people’s difficult experiences would make me a bit uneasy, and perhaps more afraid of the many threats that exist in the world. However, I now better understand the benefits of being open with people about what I have been through.

The performance made me feel that whenever a challenge is to come my way, I will be okay as long as I can call upon the strength exhibited by the women I heard speak at “Voices.”

Fiona Ewing