Kim Crosby's Keynote Speech Opens LGBTQ History Month

By Carinna Arvizo, the Dartmouth Staff | 10/2/13 6:17am

For the first time, the College will join in celebrating LGBTQ History month .

“October 11th is National Coming Out Day,” Reese Kelly, assistant dean and advisor to LGBTQ+ and ally life said, “There has been a full month of programming in the past. Some chose whether to commemorate a National Coming Out Day, National Coming Out Week or National Coming Out Month.”

This month’s programming is focused on the way LGBTQ history is told and how the community has contributed history.

On Monday, Kim Katrin Crosby, an award-winning multidisciplinary artist, activist, consultant, facilitator and educator, was the opening keynote speaker for LGBTQ History Month. Crosby identifies herself as the “daughter of diaspora, Arawak, West African, Indian, Dutch and as a queer femme.” Crosby was born in Trinidad, but currently lives in Toronto, Canada, where she works closely on issues of race, ableism, gender and access to self-care within her own community. Crosby also travels to give lectures on these issues and to support and consult other organizations that work in a similar field.

The focus of Crosby’s lecture was intersectionality, “the belief that we are all deeply interconnected,” she explained. “If we recognize intersectionality, we can discuss how we are interconnected.”

Crosby discussed how with intersectionality, a community could prosper and become more receptive to others, particularly to people that feel excluded from their own community or are limited by their inability to access care.

To find out more about Crosby’s work visit http://kimkatrincrosby.squarespace.com/ or access her presentation at http://prezi.com/user/KimKatrinCrosby/prezis/.

Throughout the month of the October, various organizations on camps will be hosting events and lectures focusing on LGBTQ awareness and history. Visit www.dartmouth.edu/opal/lgtqa for more information on this month’s programming.

Carinna Arvizo, the Dartmouth Staff