Parents show off Big Green knowledge

By Sara Kassir, The Dartmouth Staff | 7/29/13 9:00am

With half of our Dartmouth careers under our belts, sophomore family weekend is a time for our parents to visit and see how much we have learned and grown over the last two years. The awkwardness of freshman year is long gone, and they can observe us in our elements – meet our real friends, see where we hang out and discuss our experiences.

After a weekend of questions about what we’ve been learning, it’s time to turn the tables and see what knowledge our parents have acquired about Dartmouth so far. And parents, stay tuned — this is only the midterm. We’ll catch you for the final come commencement.

What is the D-Plan?

I’ve always thought that the D-Plan was a little hard to explain, so I was curious as to how it sounds from an outsiders perspective. Parents knew it was “what you guys call your calendar” and “why you have to be here this summer.”

But the logic behind our quarter system seemed to evade most. “So you can go on abroad terms, right?” one asked. Well, sort of. A more common answer: “So you can avoid the God-awful winters.” Ha. Too real.

What are your thoughts on the Greek system?

A controversial topic regardless of the audience, parents were divided on all sides on this one. Some felt that, as of late, “it’s been causing more trouble for the College than it’s worth.” Alumni parents, on the other hand, seemed to think “it would be impossible to do without it at this point.”

In terms of their own children’s participation in Greek life, one mother commented that she had been surprised when her daughter expressed interest in rush because she was “so not a sorority girl in high school.” Another said that her own sorority “made her college experience,” and she had strongly encouraged her daughter to go for it.

If your son or daughter is affiliated, have you visited their fraternity or sorority?

Once parents actually enter our houses and basements, their perceptions on the way we organize a good chunk of our social scene might have changed. One mother said that she was “horrified” after stepping foot into her son’s basement, not to mention that her shoe choice was “definitely not appropriate.”

Meanwhile, a father who was affiliated at another school back in the day boasted that his own fraternity’s basement had been “much worse” than anything he’d seen at Dartmouth. Really?

Parents did supply further information on our ultimate college pastime. “Pong is fun! I got the ball into two cups last night,” said one rookie mother, who had played at her son’s fraternity. Others were less amused by the competitive aspect — “so if you’re good, you don’t get to drink?” Huh. Well…yes?

What do the abbreviations “FSP” and “LSA” stand for?

While a few responses were pretty far off – “Family Summer Program” and “Liberal Studying Arts” – most parents have heard these terms thrown around and seemed to know that they have something do with being somewhere other than here. One mom’s guess of “Latin Study Abroad” was probably influenced by her son’s recent return from a Spanish program.

The specifics don’t matter so much, Mom and Dad — sign here, send me this and buy me that ticket please. We’re sure you can’t wait to take us on that next fancy out-to-dinner meal when we get back.

Sara Kassir, The Dartmouth Staff