East Wheelock: Home is where the heart is

By Soyeun Yang, The Dartmouth Staff | 7/29/13 7:00am

East Wheelock is different from other freshman dorms because it is designed to be a social and intellectual community rather than a mere living space. It is sometimes given the stereotype of being the nerdy, antisocial dorm, but East Wheelock has a community and vibrant culture that makes for a strong freshman residential experience.

With four buildings (Zimmerman, Morton, Andres, and McCulloch) connected by Brace Commons, it’s easy to meet new people on a regular basis. Freshmen generally occupy the third and fourth floors in each building while upperclassmen live on the first and second floors.

Freshmen occupy a varietyof room types: one-room doubles, two-room doubles, singles, and multiple-person suites. The rooms are some of the largest and newest on campus – particularly if you’re lucky enough to live in McCulloch, a recent, luxurious addition to the cluster that includes pool and foosball tables and a TV. Many rooms come with private or semi-private bathrooms. Study rooms are located in each building and in Brace.

Along with the River cluster, East Wheelock is one of the farthest freshman dorms from Dartmouth’s main campus. Luckily, East Wheelock boasts amenities that make the extra walk bearable.

For Vivek Manjunath ’16, the East Wheelock snack bar was one of the cluster’s best features. Many consider the well-stocked snack bar, open for breakfast and late night daily, a blessing. This fall, when you’re required to buy the SmartChoice 20 dining plan, you’ll actually use the meal swipes. And if you gain the Freshman 15, the Zimmerman Fitness Center is right across the street.

East Wheelock residents rave about their tight-knit freshman communities.

Jongmin Char ’15 said that most of her closer friends lived in East Wheelock freshman year.

“The fact that we had Brace Commons and the snack bar really increased our chances of interacting more,” she said. “Because we were isolated off the center of campus, we grew to be a lot closer.”

The cluster also hosts a dean and faculty associate who coordinate exclusive events for students to attend. Some events feature professors or well-known figures, while other programs provide free tickets to Hop shows.

This makes “East Wheezy” stand out to Georgina Wilson ’16, who recommends East Wheelock particularly to students who like more “low-key events” and have a “less mainstream taste in fun.”

As with any dorm, East Wheelock is what you make of it, so take advantage of the opportunities to grow intellectually and socially. East Wheelock is a place with a lot of heart, so don’t be afraid to give it your own.

Tips and Tricks: East Wheelock cluster

• The cluster often provides free tickets to movies and shows at the Hop, so Diane Jang ’15 recommends checking before buying your own.

• Hungry after the Snack Bar has closed? Check the vending machine in the back of Brace for post-2 a.m. snacks, says Jonathan Li ’16.

• Need a job? Work in the Snack Bar. Where else can you work in your pajamas?

• If you like to cook, bring your tools and store them in the lockers in Brace and McCulloch. The kitchens in Brace Commons and McCulloch are clean and spacious.

• Large storage tubs will save you packing agony in June while keeping your belongings organized throughout the year

Walking times:

East Wheelock to FoCo: about 7 minutes

View Larger Map

East Wheelock to Webster Ave: about 10 minutes

View Larger Map

East Wheelock to KAF: about 8 minutes

View Larger Map

East Wheelock to Zimmerman: about 2 minutes

View Larger Map

Soyeun Yang, The Dartmouth Staff