All Put Together: Tie-dye

By Carinna Arvizo | 5/16/13 6:00am

I haven’t worn a tie-dye shirt since the nineties. I remember watching an episode of “Clarissa Explains It All,” where her mom was making tie-dye shirts in the kitchen, and after, I begged my mother to buy me a tie-dye kit. She never liked the look because it reminded her of the ‘70s, “a wretched time for fashion,” so she reluctantly purchased the kit. All of the shirts I made were so ugly! I was a little too ambitious and probably used too many colors, turning the shirts murky brown instead of colorful swirls.

With recent trends like ombre, tie-dye has again become a popular look. This spring look out for anything tie-dye, from purses to pants, that are a great look for your spring and summer wardrobe! When it comes to assembling an outfit, it is all about balance. Balance your jewelry, color combinations, and how much skin you want to show. Tie-dye can be particularly tricky since it is already colorful and loud.

alice + olivia knows how to tastefully play with color. With tie-dye, you have to be careful that the color combination does not come off as obnoxious. The light blue citrus and white cut allows you to dress up or down this cute little top. I suggest using dark colors with this cute little top, to make it the focus of your outfit.

This tie-dye dress from Topshop is perfect for a relaxing weekend or for going out with friends. Since it is black and white, you can certainly add some colorful accessories.

The backpack from Target is cute and simple, the perfect accessory for almost any outfit. If you plan on using any type of tie-dye accessory, be sure to make it the key feature of your outfit by using solid or dark colors. This way, you aren’t a colorful eyesore and your accessories stand out.

Carinna Arvizo