Go to Town On: Super Bowl Parties

By Jamie Li | 1/31/13 6:00am

I’m not really sure what all the fuss is about, but apparently there’s some football game happening during the Beyoncé concert this Sunday…

Just kidding! As little as I understand about sports, I at least know that this Sunday isn’t just any Sunday. It’s Super Bowl Sunday! The game itself is only one part of the festivities, however. There’s the halftime show, the commercials — and of course, the Super Bowl party.

Whether you are hosting a viewing party or attending one, here are ideas for must-have Super Bowl inspired bites that are sure to be a hit. If cooking isn’t your thing or preparing food for the big game seems like an overwhelming task, especially amidst studying for midterms (hey, I don’t blame you — after all, every week is midterms week at Dartmouth), I’m here to help.

Below are some recipe ideas that anyone who possesses the crafting skill of a kindergartener and no shame in buying out certain sections of DDS can pull off with just a few basic ingredients in their fridge. And if you’re feeling really uninspired, at the bottom of this post is information on restaurants in town with special Super Bowl-themed party platters and special offers.

Now — what viewing party would be complete without a platter of wings? Below are some recipes for variations on this Super Bowl classic that can be prepared with ingredients most students already have in their fridges.

1. Sticky Lime & Maple Grilled Wings
This simple recipe calls for hot sauce and maple syrup (hey, New England). Instead of grilling try baking.

2. Honeyed Sriracha Wings
With butter, Sriracha hot sauce, honey and lime juice you can whip up these wings that are sweet with a kick.

3. Classic Oven Fried Buffalo Wings
All this calls for is a bottle of Frank’s Red Hot and blue cheese dressing, which you can substitute for ranch. Add celery sticks to garnish.

Besides wings, your party just wouldn’t be complete without tricked-out foods cleverly resembling footballs. Here are some ideas:

1. Buy out all the whoopie pies at Novack and Topside, then with some white icing pipe on some lines that resembles the stitches of a football.
2. Prepare deviled eggs (halve hard boiled eggs, mix yolk with mayonnaise, and refill egg whites) and layer sliced green onions or chives atop the yolks in the pattern of football stitching.
3. Football. Cupcakes. Boom.
4. Order a pizza from Everything But Anchovies and ask for the pepperoni and cheese to be arranged in the shape of a football. Easy!

For those whose main priority is enjoying the game and not preparing food, several Hanover restaurants have expanded their menus to include Super Bowl specials.

EBA’s – order by January 31st for any of these combination packages:

Phone: (603) 643-6135

3 Guys Basement Barbeque — order by February 1st for any of these combinations:

Phone: 603-643-7227

Salt Hill Pub — hosting a viewing party

Phone: 603-676-7855

Jamie Li