Watching the Ivies: 11/9

By Marie Plecha | 11/9/12 6:00am

YALE: Yale University announced the appointment of Provost Peter Salovey as the next University President on Thursday. Salovey, who previously served as dean of Yale College, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences dean and the psychology department chair, will assume the post as Yale’s 23rdpresident on June 30.

COLUMBIA: Students at Columbia University have organized a Facebook group to coordinate relief efforts aiding New Yorkers affected by Hurricane Sandy. The group, called Caped Columbians, aims to mobilize student volunteers by providing information about drives and other service events, as The Columbia Spectator reports.

HARVARD: Harvard University is holding elections for President of the Undergraduate Council this week. The four candidates are running on platforms of structural changes to the Council, synthesizing student opinion through Harvard’s online registration system and increasing school-wide social programming.

PRINCETON: Princeton University is revising its bicker process for eating clubs by allowing students to simultaneously bicker (essentially, rush) more than one selective club. The changes to the system, along with the clubs’ resolution to provide more open events for underclassmen, are part of an initiative to increase the openness of the eating club system, according to The Daily Princetonian.

CORNELL: Students at Cornell University are petitioning the University to expand its B.L.U.E. late-night shuttle program, which offers rides to students during midterm and final exam seasons. Several hundred students have signed an online petition, which calls for ride service every night of the academic year to promote campus safety.

BROWN: A poll conducted by The Brown Daily Herald reported that nearly 84 percent of Brown students believe they feel equally happy, slightly happier or much happier than their college peers. Students credit this level of satisfaction to the University’s atmosphere of freedom and students’ generally positive outlook.

Marie Plecha