Watching the Ivies: 10/26

By Marie Plecha | 10/26/12 6:00am

BROWN: Brown University hosted a Q&A session with Modern Family star and Brown alumna Julie Bowen on Wednesday. Bowen discussed the tensions between her academic background and her acting career, as well as her own experiences at Brown.

YALE: On a similar note, Yale University recently held a panel discussion addressing the University’s sexual assault reporting and counseling services. The panel allowed students to ask questions and express ideas about the University’s efforts to alleviate sexual misconduct on campus.

PRINCETON: Fraternities at Princeton University have responded in various ways to the University’s new ban on freshman rush. Some organizations have decided to hold rush as usual for upperclassmen, while others have postponed the process or cancelled rush entirely for the year. The new policy has resulted in significantly smaller pledge classes for Greek organizations on campus.

COLUMBIA: Columbia University is currently holding Queer Awareness Month, featuring events including educational workshops and an underwear party to promote positive body image. The University’s observance of Queer Awareness Month intends to “promote awareness of issues and individuals in Columbia’s queer community,” the Columbia Spectator reported.

CORNELL: Cornell’s Collegetown Student Council sponsored the Collegetown Neighborhood Fair last Saturday in an effort to promote stronger relationships between Cornell students and Ithaca residents. The fair featured speakers from both Cornell and local organizations, addressing local safety and efforts to foster a cohesive college town community, according to The Cornell Daily Sun.

PENN: Students at the University of Pennsylvania have created Vago Logistics, a service offering deliveries from local restaurants, food trucks and food carts to students’ doors. The business, which began its beta launch on Wednesday, will charge a flat rate of $1 and guarantee delivery within 15 minutes.

Marie Plecha