Ivy Awards: Week of Nov. 22

By Richard Mezzasalama, The Dartmouth Staff | 11/24/09 1:32pm

Akikazu Onda / The Dartmouth Staff

Every Tues­day, The Dart­mouth will sum­ma­rize the weekly awards given out by the Ivy League for strong in­di­vid­ual per­for­mances in sev­eral sports.
Brown se­nior wide re­ceiver Buddy Farn­ham and Penn se­nior line­backer Jake Lewko were named joint Ivy League Foot­ball Play­ers of the Year on Tues­day – the first time the award has been split since 1970, the prize’s in­au­gural year, ac­cord­ing to an Ivy League Sports press re­lease.
The Big Green didn’t walk home empty handed, though – run­ning back Nick Schwieger ’12 was named first team All-Ivy, while de­fen­sive backs Shawn Abuhoff ’12 and Peter Pi­der­mann ’10 both got sec­ond team nods.
Tight end John Gal­lagher ’12, place kicker Foley Schmidt ’12, wide re­ceiver Tan­ner Scott ’11 and of­fen­sive line­man Alex Toth ’10 were all given hon­or­able men­tions.
Of­fen­sive player of the week was awarded to Har­vard ju­nior quar­ter­back Col­lier Win­ters (Clare­more, Okla.), who threw two touch­down passes in the wan­ing mo­ments of the fourth quar­ter to lead the Crim­son to a 14-10 vic­tory at Yale in the teams’ 126th meet­ing. Rookie of the week hon­ors went to Co­lum­bia fresh­man quar­ter­back Sean Brack­ett (Brook­lyn, Conn.) as he rushed for a sea­son-high 171 yards on 20 car­ries and threw for 151 yards and one touch­down in the Lions’ 28-14 upset win over Brown.
Prince­ton gar­nered the re­main­ing foot­ball hon­ors, al­though some may argue that Dart­mouth should be given some credit for help­ing Prince­ton seem im­pres­sive. De­fen­sive player of the week went to Prince­ton ju­nior line­backer Steven Cody (Mid­loth­ian, Va.) after record­ing 10 tack­les — seven solo — in the Tigers’ 23-11 win over the Big Green. Prince­ton se­nior place­kicker Ben Bologna (Metairie, La.) won spe­cial teams player of the week for his three field goals in four at­tempts this week­end (a sta­tis­tic which is only im­pres­sive in the Ivy League) in­clud­ing a ca­reer-long 42-yarder.
In the world of women’s bas­ket­ball, Prince­ton swept the weekly Ivy League awards. Tigers ju­nior guard Addie Micir (New­town, Pa.) gar­nered player of the week hon­ors after av­er­ag­ing 19 points per game along with seven re­bounds, six as­sists and two steals, lead­ing her team to two wins this week­end against Amer­i­can Uni­ver­sity and the Uni­ver­sity of Delaware. Rookie of the week was awarded to Prince­ton fresh­man guard Niveen Rasheed (Danville, Calif.) who av­er­aged 16 points per game in the Tigers’ wins over Amer­i­can and Delaware.
In men’s bas­ket­ball, after a hard fought bat­tle, the league’s com­mit­tee couldn’t de­cide a win­ner for this week’s Player of the Week award, and was forced to set­tle for a tie. Co-player of the week hon­ors went to Brown se­nior cen­ter Matt Mullery (Mill­stone, N.J.) who av­er­aged over 16 points per game and shot 19-of-29 (.655) from the field in lead­ing his team against the Uni­ver­sity of Rhode Is­land, St. John's and Maine. Co­lum­bia sopho­more guard Noruwa Agho (New City, N.Y.) was the other re­cip­i­ent of the weekly honor. Agho shot 70 per­cent from three-point range and av­er­aged 18.5 points in two games dur­ing the open­ing week for the Lions. He also had a ca­reer-best 24 points against Long­wood Uni­ver­sity. Rookie of the week went to Brown fresh­man for­ward An­drew Mc­Carthy (Sud­bury, Mass.) after solid per­for­mances in the team’s three games this week, av­er­ag­ing 9.5 points, 5 re­bounds and 2 blocks per game.

Richard Mezzasalama, The Dartmouth Staff