Dr. Fisher goes to Washington

By The Dartmouth Web Staff | 11/28/09 1:36pm

Sarah Irving / The Dartmouth Staff

Al­though re­search from The Dart­mouth In­sti­tute for Health Pol­icy and Clin­i­cal Prac­tice has long been cen­ter stage in the health care re­form de­bate in Wash­ing­ton, it now ap­pears Dart­mouth re­searchers are even get­ting a seat at the ne­go­ti­at­ing table.

Dart­mouth Med­ical School pro­fes­sor El­liot Fisher, the di­rec­tor of TDI’s Cen­ter for Health Pol­icy Re­search, is in­cluded in the 1,600 vis­i­tor records re­leased by the White House on Wednes­day (Click here for the full list).

Fisher vis­ited the White House for al­most two hours on March 25, ac­cord­ing to the records, in con­nec­tion with a “Meet­ing of Physi­cians for Health Care Re­form.” The records in­di­cate his con­tact at the White House was Ezekial Emanuel, the brother of Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and the cur­rent spe­cial ad­vi­sor for health pol­icy to Peter Orszag, the di­rec­tor of the Of­fice of Man­age­ment and Bud­get.

Fisher is known for his work on re­gional vari­a­tions in health care across the United States through “The Dart­mouth Atlas of Health Care.”
Fisher took part in a New Eng­land Jour­nal of Med­i­cine round­table dis­cus­sion on “The Costs of Health Care,” mod­er­ated by Har­vard Uni­ver­sity pro­fes­sor and au­thor Atul Gawande, that was posted on­line ear­lier this month.

The Dartmouth Web Staff