The Weekend Roundup: Week 8

2.10.20.squash2_LorraineLiu.jpg

The women's squash team finished in second place in the B Division of the national championships, falling just shy of earning the Kurtz Cup.

Women's squash

The weekend, the women’s squash team finished second at the College Squash Association Kurtz Cup Championship in New Haven, CT. The team was seeded first in the tournament after finishing the regular season at No. 9 in the national rankings.

In the first round, the Big Green faced Bates College. The team fared well in the match, sweeping six of the matches. Caroline Mollenkopf ’22 held her opponent to just 11 points in the Big Green’s most convincing win of the day. Eventually, the Big Green won the match 9-0 as Claire Aube ’23 and Emma MacTaggart ’22 finished in four games.

On Saturday, the team took down Brown University in the semifinals by a score of 8-1. Jesse Brownell ’23 recorded the team’s only sweep of the day. Four of the Big Green’s victories went to five games, while the other three were won in four. Emma Supattapone ’23 won at the No. 2 position 11-8, 11-8, 9-11, 3-11, 11-6 and Claire Aube ’23 won at the No. 4 6-11, 11-7, 11-5, 6-11, 11-8.

On Sunday, the Kurtz Cup Championship concluded with the final between Dartmouth and the University of Virginia. The Cavaliers took home the title, winning 6-3. Brownell won her match easily, and Aube and Mollenkopf won their matches in five games. Those were the only wins the Big Green could muster, as Virginia won the Kurtz Cup.

All that remains for the Big Green’s season is the CSA Individual Championships in Philadelphia, which start on March 6.

Softball

The softball team traveled to Charleston, SC to open up its season in the Charleston Classic. On Friday, Dartmouth started its season with a true test against the No. 25 Virginia Tech. The Big Green opened up the first inning strong by leading 2-0, but Virginia Tech answered in the second inning with four runs. The Hokies put the game away in the third inning by smacking seven hits and eight runs to extend their lead to 12-2.

In the second game of the doubleheader, Dartmouth earned its first victory of the season by shutting out the College of Charleston in a 2-0 victory. Brooke Plonka ’22 struck out 14 batters and allowed only four hits in a stellar performance. Abby Shipley ’21 knocked in two RBIs by driving in Micah Schroder ’20 and Calista Almer ’20 in the third inning.

In the second day of the Charleston Classic, Dartmouth once again went 1-1 by losing to the United States Military Academy and beating Ohio University. The Big Green lost 12-4 against Army after the Golden Knights went for a six-run second inning. The Big Green earned two runs in the third to cut its deficit to four, but could not keep up with the batting power of Army in the fifth and sixth innings. 

In the second game of the Big Green’s doubleheader, Dartmouth bested Ohio University 6-4. Schae Nelson ’21 went 2-3 with a home run, Schroder scored two runs and Shipley had two hits and an RBI. Pitchers Plonka and Madie Augusto ’22 combined for two strikeouts in the game.

The final game of the weekend for the Big Green was a thrilling 2-1 win in eight innings over North Carolina A&T State University. Brooke Plonka 22 and Madie Augusto ’22 combined for a no-hitter, with Plonka striking out five batters in 3.2 innings. After an unearned run tied the game in the fifth inning, Loghan Thomas ’20 hit a walk-off double in the eighth inning to give the Big Green its third win of the weekend.

After going 3-2 on the weekend, Dartmouth will travel to Longwood, FL next weekend and play five more nonconference games in three days.

Baseball

The baseball team opened up its season by being shutout against Indiana State University in Port Charlotte, FL, losing 1-0 in its first game of the Snowbird Classic. Dartmouth held the game even until the seventh inning when Indiana State drilled a home run. Austen Michel ’20 returned to play after missing nearly his entire junior year with an injury. Jack Metzger ’23 got the call to pitch the final four outs in his debut.

On Saturday, Dartmouth split a doubleheader against Chicago State University. The Big Green won the first game 6-2 with the help of Ubaldo Lopez ’21, who went 3-4 with two doubles, a run and an RBI. Pitcher Trystan Sarcone ’22 allowed one run in four innings to earn his first collegiate victory. In the second game of the doubleheader, the Big Green was shut out in a 3-0 defeat. Pitcher Jonah Jenkins ’21 held the game even in the first five innings, but allowed the Cougars to score once in the sixth inning and twice in the seventh inning.

The Big Green concluded its weekend with a 8-1 win over the University of Nebraska Omaha. Justin Murray ’22 pitched seven shutout innings, and Kolton Freeman ’23 as well as Kade Kretzschmar ’22 drove in two runs.

Dartmouth (2-2) will travel to Charlottesville, Virginia to face the University of Virginia for a three-game series next weekend. 

Women's hockey

This weekend, the women’s ice hockey team closed out its season, losing to St. Lawrence University 3-2 on Friday and Clarkson University 2-1 on Saturday.

Against St. Lawrence, the Big Green fell behind early, allowing one goal in at the end of the first period and two more in the second. The Big Green fought back in the third, with Lotti Odnoga ’22 scoring during a power-play opportunity. A few minutes later, Currie Putrah ’23 added another goal to make it a one-score game. However, even with a 21-shot third period, the Big Green was unable to complete the comeback win.

On Saturday, the Big Green came out strong against Clarkson, with Georgia Kraus ’23 scoring the first goal of the game. The team fought to preserve the lead, but the Golden Knights countered with consecutive goals in the second and third periods. The game was senior night for the team’s four seniors Bailee Brekke ’20, Charlie Plumb ’20, Christina Rombaut ’20 and Sydney Hill ’20.

The Big Green finished the season at 7-19-3, sitting at 10th in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference standings.

Men's hockey

The men’s hockey team went 1-1 on the road this weekend, defeating St. Lawrence University 5-2 and losing to No. 5 Clarkson University 4-0.

The Big Green’s performance against St. Lawrence was highlighted by Drew O’Connor ’22’s two-goal game. Dartmouth started the night off with defenseman Brendan Demler ’21 netting his first goal of the season. The Big Green dominated the first period with a 20-2 shot advantage but entered the second period tied at 1-1. Next, O’Connor scored his first of the night and Tanner Palocsik ’23 quickly added another. O’Connor and Will Graber ’20 would add goals, securing the win for the Big Green.

Against Clarkson, Dartmouth was able to hold the Golden Knights to a single goal in the first two periods. However, Clarkson was soon able to tally another three goals to secure the win. The game was the first time this season that the Big Green has been held scoreless.

The Big Green, sitting at 12-11-4 and sixth in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference standings, will stay home next weekend to face Union College and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The game against RPI will be one of the Big Green’s biggest tests so far and could have postseason implications. 

Women's swimming and diving

This weekend, the Dartmouth women’s swimming and diving team finished seventh at the Ivy League Championship in Providence, RI.

On day one of the meet, the Big Green team of Christina Cianciolo ’23, Mia Leko ’22, Summer Martin ’21 and Ashley Post ’22, finished fourth in the 800 free relay, breaking a school record set last season. On Thursday, Leko finished 12th in the 500 free, and Post, Zoe Wortzman ’22 and Katherine Cane ’21 finished 10th through 12th in the B final of 50 free. The Big Green capped off the first two days with a third-place finish in the 200 free relay.

The following day, the Big Green racked up an additional 22 and 54 points in the 400 IM and 200 free, respectively. In the 200 free, Leko finished sixth and Post finished eighth. To close out the day, the Big Green picked up points in the 100 breast, 100 back and 400 medley relay. To close out the competition, Susannah Laster ’22 placed 11th in the 200 back, and Sophie Smith ’20 finished 11th in the 100 free. Leko also won third place in the 200 butterfly. The Big Green team composed of Leko, Post, Smith and Wortzman finished fourth in the 400 free relay, breaking a 2013 school record.

The Big Green will have a few weeks off before March 12, when the College Swimming & Diving Coaches Association of America National Invitational Championship kicks off in Cleveland on the campus of Cleveland State University.

Men's lacrosse

Men’s lacrosse improved to 2-0 after the program’s first ever win against Bryant University on Saturday. The home victory was due to the Big Green’s fourth quarter performance, as the team edged out Bryant by scoring six unanswered goals to win 11-8. After trailing 8-5 with 10 minutes left, Mitchell Myers ’23 won key faceoffs to give the Big Green opportunities to score. The scoring was led by Matt Paul ’21 and Ben Martin ’20, who had three goals each, while George Prince ’21 had two goals. In net, Daniel Hincks ’22 made 10 saves.

The Big Green, which has already matched its season win total from last season, will try to continue its impressive start when it goes on the road to face the University of Massachusetts Lowell on Saturday.

Women's lacrosse

No. 18 women’s lacrosse cruised to a commanding 16-8 win against Boston University in the team’s home opener on Saturday. The win was led by Katie Bourque ’20, who put up five goals and seven points in a career-high effort. This win follows an impressive victory against the No. 13 University of Massachusetts, putting the Big Green at 2-0 for the season. 

Sophia Turchetta ’20 contributed to the win with a hat trick, while three other players put up two goals. Kiera Vrindten ’20 had four saves for the Big Green off of BU’s 12 shots on goal. Dartmouth was able to successfully force turnovers in the game while only losing the ball 11 times. The Big Green opened up the game on a 4-0 run and kept the lead throughout the entire game. 

Dartmouth will face Brown University in Providence next Saturday in its first Ivy League test of the year. 

Men's basketball

The men’s basketball team split games at home to the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University this weekend. Trevon Ary-Turner ’22 and Chris Knight ’21 carried the Big Green to victory on Friday against Penn in a 66-59 victory. Ary-Turner had 16 points and Knight added 16 of his own to even the season series against the Quakers. The team led 28-27 at half and opened up its lead with 13 minutes remaining in the second half. It was the third straight win for the Big Green, its longest streak this season in Ivy League play.

On Saturday, Dartmouth fell short against Princeton despite a late comeback effort. The Big Green trailed by as many as 17 points in the first half but closed the 31-14 score to a nine-point deficit at halftime. In the second half, the Big Green chipped away at the Tigers’ lead to eventually cut the game to 61-60 with 1:31 to go. Knight had another brilliant performance, recording 27 points and 13 rebounds. Aaryn Rai ’21 contributed 17 points and four rebounds in 33 minutes of play. On a last-second drive, Knight missed a potential game-winning layup, and the Tigers edged out the win.

Now holding a 10-15 record and a 3-7 record in Ivy play, the Big Green will go on the road next weekend to face Cornell University and Columbia University.

Women's basketball

The women’s basketball team struggled on the road this past weekend against the University of Pennsylvania and No. 25 Princeton University. The team suffered two blowout losses, first against Penn 67-31, then to Princeton, 87-55. The Big Green was able to keep the game close in the opening minutes against Penn but fell back and allowed Penn to run away with the lead. Dartmouth struggled on the offensive end, putting up four and five points in the second and fourth quarters respectively. The Big Green shot 19.7 percent from the floor and turned the ball over 18 times.

On Saturday, the Big Green traveled to Princeton to face the No. 25 Tigers. The team was highly competitive in the first half, trailing by only two points at halftime. The second half, however, was a different story. The Big Green allowed the Princeton offense to explode and was outscored by 30 points.

Dartmouth (8-15, 2-8 Ivy) will try to avenge its two losses this past weekend as it will host Cornell University and Columbia University next weekend.

Women's tennis

The women’s tennis team played two matches at home this weekend, defeating the University of Massachusetts 4-1 and falling to Michigan State University on Sunday.

Against UMass, the Big Green started out behind, dropping the doubles point as No. 1 doubles Abigail Chiu ’21 and Chidimma Okpara ’23 and No. 3 doubles Catherine Cable ’20 and Emily Zhou ’23 both lost 7-5.

That would be the Minutewomen’s sole point of the night, as Dartmouth would start singles with four straight victories. Jennifer Gadalov ’23 tied the match, winning 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 6 position. Chuyang Guan ’20 and Ashley Hess ’23 soon followed, winning 6-4, 6-2 and 6-2, 6-3 respectively. Jingyi Peng ’22 clinched the victory winning 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 2 spot.

On Sunday, the Big Green fell 4-2 to the Spartans of Michigan State, losing the doubles point and only winning two singles matches.

Next weekend, the Big Green will travel to Boston University on Saturday before a break in the schedule until mid-March.

Ethan Strauss
Ethan (‘23) is a sports writer for The Dartmouth. He is from Little Rock, Arkansas and plans to major in economics with a minor in government.