Editors' Note

amelie_conflictcover_RGB.jpg

There is no shortage of conflict in our world today: from online discussions about a possible “World War III,” to the restructuring of the British royal family, to the debate over which candidates will represent the Democratic and Republican parties in the 2020 presidential election, the evidence is everywhere. But if conflict is the norm rather than the anomaly, how do we make sense of the swirl of players, agendas and outcomes all around us? How do we inform ourselves about conflict in a world increasingly permeated by misinformation, and how do we formulate an opinion and craft an appropriate response?

This week, the Mirror examines conflicts on scales global and local. We interview a professor who specializes in Iranian politics to shed light on recent conflicts between the U.S. and Iran. We tell the stories of students who study vastly different subjects and investigate the use of trigger warnings on campus. We recognize that we cannot tell you how to feel about such complicated issues, nor can we explain exactly how to reconcile all the conflict. But we hope you finish this issue with more of a sense of these stories within it than when you started reading, armed with more knowledge than you started with.