The Weekend Roundup: Week 2

9.16.19.vball3_DivyaKopalle.jpg

The volleyball team won two of three matches this weekend, improving to 4-5 on the season.

Football

The Big Green kicked off the 2019 season on a stellar note, defeating Jacksonville University handily by a score of 35-6. Defense was the name of the game for the Big Green in 2018, and the unit picked up right where it left off by stifling the Jacksonville offense throughout the day.

Quarterback Derek Kyler ’21, in his second year as a starter, picked up where he left off last season with efficient, turnover-free football. Kyler completed seven of his nine passes for 111 yards and two touchdowns, with Jared Gerbino ’20 pitching in 39 yards and a pair of touchdowns and Jake Pallotta ’21 adding 36 passing yards as well. 

Drew Estrada ’20 exploded with 183 total yards and two touchdowns, both from Kyler, while tight end Joe Kramer ’22 caught two touchdowns from Gerbino. Caylin Parker ’20 scored the season’s first touchdown on a one-yard plunge in the first quarter, giving the Big Green an early lead it wouldn’t relinquish.

With the victory, the Big Green now turns its attention to the first home game of the season against Colgate University, which takes place next Saturday at 6 p.m. After that, the team will begin its quest to win the Ivy League championship, taking on the University of Pennsylvania under the Friday night lights in Philadelphia.

Men's cross country

The Big Green finished seventh of 21 teams in the Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown on Friday. The event was an 8k race, and Quinn Cooney ’20 finished in a remarkable time of 24:33, which was the seventh-best individual time in the entire meet. Owen Ritz ’21, Ben Matejka ’21, Liam Jameison ’22 and Sam Morton ’21 rounded out the team’s top five finishers, finishing with times of 25:02, 25:05, 25:14 and 25:27, respectively. 

Syracuse University won the tournament, and Harvard University finished in fourth as the only Ivy in the tournament to beat out Dartmouth. 

The team now turns its focus to Oct. 5, when it travels to Lehigh University for the Paul Short Invitational.

Men's golf

The Dartmouth men’s golf team followed up a solid road effort during the past weekend with another impressive performance on its home course. The Big Green tied for third on Saturday and placed fourth overall in the Dartmouth Invitational.

Jason Liu ’21 paced the team on both days, especially with a remarkable two under par score on the first. Will Bednarz ’20 and Charles Petrie ’22 finished with an even par, while Sam Ohno ’22 shot a +1 on the day and Mark Turner ’22 checked in with a +2 round. On the second day, Ohno shot a 2-under, while Liu and Turner both shot a -1. The Big Green as a team shot a -1 on the first day and a -4 on the second day.

Looking ahead, the team will conclude the fall portion of its season at the Firestone Invitational in Akron, OH, where it will play 36 holes on Sept. 30 and 18 holes the next day.

Field hockey

The field hockey team went 1-1 at home this weekend, losing 4-3 to the University of New Hampshire on Friday in double-overtime before evening the weekend’s tally with a 4-1 victory over Merrimack College on Sunday.

Friday’s heartbreaker began in the Big Green’s favor, with the home team opening the game with a goal in the second minute and then scoring its second in a row before the 14-minute mark. The Wildcats, however, answered with two goals of their own before Carmen Braceras ’20 scored her second goal of the game with just over seven minutes left in regulation. But at the 57:14 mark, UNH’s Kayla Sliz netted a goal to send the game to overtime. In the 72nd minute, Sliz scored again to secure the win for the Wildcats despite a strong 11-save game from goalkeeper Isabella Santucci ’22.

On Sunday, the Big Green recorded its first home win of the season in dominant fashion. Sara Falkson ’22 led the Big Green’s offensive charge with two goals, with Lia Constantine ’21 and Katie Spanos ’20 adding on two more. The Big Green was on the verge of a shutout performance when the Warriors recorded their only goal with under four minutes remaining. The Big Green controlled the game, outshooting Merrimack 24-5.

The Big Green will return to Chase Field Saturday when it takes on No. 3 Princeton University to open Ivy League play.

Men's soccer

The men’s soccer team dropped a close 1-0 decision at No. 18 University of New Hampshire on Wednesday before returning home to dominate Niagara University on Saturday afternoon. With the week’s results, the team improves to 3-2, both losses coming against ranked opponents.

Goalkeeper Alex Budnik ’22 was tested often against New Hampshire, saving seven shots on a day in which he performed very well. However, the game’s only goal also got by him in the 68th minute, and the Big Green couldn’t manufacture an equalizer. The team only got one shot on goal during the game.

The Niagara game, however, was a completely different story. Dartmouth tacked on a quick two goals in the game’s first six minutes, with Henry Baldwin ’20 and Kota Sakurai ’21 scoring early to essentially put the game out of reach. Seven different players scored the team’s seven goals, with many scoring their first for the season. Pedro Campos ’23 scored the first goal of his Dartmouth career in the 83rd minute.

The team has a lighter week coming up, as it will travel to face the State University of New York at Albany on Tuesday before a few home games and the start of Ivy League play the following week.

Women's soccer

The women’s soccer team continued its amazing start to the season with a pair of non-league victories this past week, defeating the University of Rhode Island 2-0 in Hanover before traveling to defeat Sacred Heart University 4-0. The team improved to 7-1 with the wins.

In the Rhode Island victory, a pair of underclassmen paced the offensive attack. Izzy Glennon ’22 and Allie Winstanley ’23 scored the team’s goals, with Glennon’s goal coming in the 25th minute and Winstanley’s insurance goal putting the game out of reach in the 54th minute. 

Defensively, the team held Rhode Island to only one shot on goal, meaning it was a light day of work for goalkeeper Mariel Gordon ’21. 

The same was true for Sunday’s game, as Gordon had two saves in the shutout victory. Glennon starred once again with two goals, her fourth and fifth on the season, while Erin Kawakami ’21 scored the game’s first goal and Michael Guptill ’22 scored the final goal. 

The team will now look to carry its success into conference play. It travels to face Brown University next Saturday before a home date with Princeton University the following weekend.

Women's rugby

In a rematch of fall 2018’s NIRA National Championship game, defending champions women’s rugby fell to Harvard University 50-34 on Saturday. Harvard got off to a strong start that the Big Green proved unable to overcome despite a strong second half comeback. 

Facing a 21-point deficit at halftime, Dartmouth went on to score 29 points in the second half. In the dramatic final eight minutes of the game, Ariana Ramsey ’22, Idia Ihensekhien ’21 and Ale Ada ’22 all scored tries while Lillian Johnson ’23 provided a conversion. Ramsey came through with a final try for the Big Green in the last seconds of the game and totaled 15 points overall. Ultimately, Harvard’s early lead was enough to withstand the Big Green’s late charge. 

Women’s rugby currently has an even record of 1-1 this season and takes on the United States Military Academy next at home on Oct. 5.

Volleyball

The Big Green got back on track at the Dog Pound Challenge this past weekend, defeating Providence College and the College of the Holy Cross in straight sets while losing to the University of Connecticut 3-1. The Big Green now stands at 4-5 on the season.

Dartmouth won with little difficulty against the Friars, taking the first two sets by scores of 25-16 and 25-15, respectively, before winning a closer final set 25-21. Dartmouth dropped a close first set against UConn, losing 25-22, and after winning the second set, it lost the third and fourth sets by wide margins. But the team finished the weekend strong with a solid performance in the finale, winning the first two sets against Holy Cross 25-22 and 25-21 before dominating in the third set, a 25-10 decision.

Makenzie Arent ’23 stood out with 66 assists between the three games, while Grace Wiczek ’23 had 30 kills during the weekend. Elise Petit ’21 also performed well offensively, registering 23 kills on the weekend with a team-high nine in the Holy Cross victory.

Dartmouth now turns its attention to conference play, which opens up with a tough road slate. The Big Green will travel to Cambridge to play Harvard University on Saturday night before two more weekend road trips, and it won’t play its home conference opener until Oct. 18 against the University of Pennsylvania.