The Weekend Roundup: Week 1

9.16.19.soccer1_NainaBhalla.jpg

The men's soccer team defeated Michigan State 2-1 on Saturday.

Volleyball

The volleyball team had a difficult time at the Dartmouth Invitational, with visitors Hofstra University, the University of Hartford, and Fordham University all defeating the Big Green over the weekend.

Dartmouth lost 3-0 to Hofstra on Friday night, dropping the first set in a 26-24 nail biter before losing the second and third sets by scores of 25-21 and 25-18, respectively. The newcomers led the way in this match, with Grace Wiczek ’23 leading the team in kills (eight) and Makenzie Arent ’23 leading the team in assists (26) and digs (17). The match with Hartford wasn’t as close, with the Big Green dropping three sets by a score of 25-12, 25-17 and 25-18. The Big Green took a set in the finale against Fordham but still fell 3-1 to cap off a tough weekend. Wiczek and Arent again led the way in the Saturday matches, with Arent posting 34 assists against Fordham.

Looking ahead, the team will face Providence University, the University of Connecticut and the College of the Holy Cross at the Dog Pound Challenge in Storrs, CT next weekend.

Rugby

The women’s rugby team defeated Brown University handily in the Ivy League opener, winning 52-17 in Providence.

The underclassmen played a huge role in the victory, as Ariana Ramsey ’22 paced the offense with three tries, and Kristin Bitter ’23 scored on five conversions and one try. The Big Green started out with a 19-0 lead and led 40-5 at halftime, asserting itself as the dominant team from the get-go. Defensively, the Big Green was strong especially in the first half, with Lannan Abbott ’22 leading the charge. Idia Ihensekhien ’21, Becca Jane Rosko ’20 and Lauren Ferridge ’23 scored tries as well, with Lillian Johnson ’23 also adding a conversion.

Ivy League play will continue next week for the Big Green, who take on powerhouse Harvard University next week in Cambridge.

Women's soccer

The women’s soccer team continued its hot start to the season with a 1-0 victory over the University of New Hampshire on Thursday and a 2-0 victory over Quinnipiac University on Sunday to improve to 5-1 on the season. 

The UNH game was shaping up to be a tie before Mollie McGorisk ’20 scored a clutch goal in the 88th minute on an assist from Allie Winstanley ’23. Dartmouth dominated the game on both ends, getting 16 shots and seven on goal compared to just eight shots and two shots on goal for UNH. Mariel Gordon ’21 stopped both shots on goal to preserve the shutout for the Big Green. Against Quinnipiac, Gordon had another shutout, saving all three shots on goal, while Winstanley and Izzy Glennon ’22 scored the team’s two goals for the day. Winstanley’s goal was unassisted while Zoe Boocock ’20 assisted on Glennon’s goal.

The one-loss Big Green will look to maintain its strong start next week, when it takes on University of Rhode Island and Sacred Heart University on Thursday and Sunday, respectively.

Men's soccer

The men’s soccer team had a strong second week of play, winning two non-league home games against the University of Massachusetts and Michigan State University. With the victories, the team improves to 2-1 on the season.

In the UMass game, a 1-0 victory, Dawson McCartney ’21 scored the game’s only goal in the 21st minute on an assist from Zach Kalk ’20. UMass got more shots on goal than the Big Green by a margin of 4-3, but goalkeeper Alex Budnik ’22 saved all four shots. Against Michigan State, it was Kalk finding the back of the net in the 78th minute that broke a 1-1 tie and vaulted the Big Green to a 2-1 victory. Kota Sakurai ’21 assisted Kalk on his goal. Braden Salvati ’20 scored a goal as well on assists from both McCartney and Clayton Molter ’23, with the freshman getting into the box score for the first time.

Looking ahead, Dartmouth will travel south to face No. 21 University of New Hampshire on Wednesday. Its only loss of the season came to top-ranked Wake Forest University in a hard-fought 3-1 contest, so the Big Green will have the opportunity to exact revenge on another ranked opponent next week.

Field hockey

The field hockey team split the results column in this weekend of nonconference play, losing a game to No. 18 Boston College 5-2 on Friday and topping College of the Holy Cross 2-1 on Sunday. Friday’s game was highlighted by a 20-stop performance from goalkeeper Isabella Santucci ’22 — the first 20-save game from a Dartmouth backstop since 2009. Carmen Braceras ’20 and Katie Spanos ’20 led the Big Green’s offensive effort, recording a goal and an assist each. Santucci’s impressive effort in goal and the Big Green’s front line were not enough to match the Eagles’ firepower, though, and the Green and White ultimately fell in Boston. 

Sunday, the Big Green tallied its first win of the season at Holy Cross, bringing its season record to 1-3. Gracyn Campbell ’22 opened the scoring for the Big Green just before halftime, notching her first of the season off of an assist from Sara Falkson ’22. Katie Spanos ’20 broke the tie in the 67th minute on an assist from Amelie Perrier ‘23, and goalkeeper Santucci, while unable to top her amazing 20-save mark from earlier in the weekend, saved seven of the eight shots on goal to pace the Big Green’s defense.

Looking ahead, the Big Green will face the University of New Hampshire and Merrimack College next week as it tries to build off the positive momentum from the Holy Cross victory.

Men's golf

The men’s golf team started its season on a solid note in the Cornell Invitational, finishing in fifth place in the 16-team tournament in Ithaca, New York. The team combined to collectively shoot a +17 on Saturday and a +11 on Sunday. 

On Saturday, Mark Turner ’22 and Charles Petrie ’22 paced the group by both shooting a +1 on their 36 holes, while Jason Liu ’21 scored a +5 and Sam Ohno ’21 registered a +10. The Big Green tied with St. Bonaventure University and was a stroke behind host Cornell University, while Columbia University ran away with first place with an overall score of +7. 

On Sunday, Turner led the way again, recording a 2-over-73 to take 13th place overall in individual scoring. The Big Green ended the tournament with a 292-293-295—880 (+28), just two strokes behind fourth-place St. Bonaventure.

Next weekend, the Big Green will host the Dartmouth Invitational at the Hanover Country club in its only home tournament of the fall.

Women's golf

Women’s golf took fifth place of 13 teams in this weekend’s Dartmouth Invitational. On Saturday, the Big Green collectively scored a +20 on the day. Kaitlyn Lees ’22 and Julianne Strauch ’21 shot a +4 on their 18 holes, while Angela Zhang ’23 shot a +5 in her Dartmouth debut. Maddie Nelson ’20 rounded out the group with a +7 round. 

On Sunday, Lees led the way again, hitting a 1-under 71. Her outstanding performance helped Dartmouth climb from its seventh place finish on Saturday to a fifth place finish overall. Harvard University won the tournament with an even game, while Ivy League competitors Columbia University and Yale University, along with Stetson University, placed ahead of the Big Green.  

The Big Green will take to the course again in two weekends when the team travels to Princeton, NJ for the Princeton Invitational.

Lees is a member of The Dartmouth staff.