Dartmouth announces four new Board of Trustees members

by The Dartmouth Senior Staff | 5/15/19 1:00pm

3-26-parkhurst-nainabhalla

Four new members will join the Board of Trustees on July 1.

by Naina Bhalla / The Dartmouth Staff

A four-time Emmy Award nominee, a managing partner of a private equity firm, the executive chairman of an automotive fleet leasing and management company and the former solicitor for the U.S. Department of the Interior will be joining the College’s Board of Trustees on July 1.

Connie Britton ’89, Daniel Black ’82, James Frank ’65 and Hilary Tompkins ’90 will be replacing Gail Boudreaux ’82, Bill Burgess ’81, Jim Coulter ’82 and Gregg Engles ’79, each of whom will have completed two four-year terms by June 9.

The board currently consists of 26 members. Sixteen of these members are charter trustees, who are elected by the board, and Britton and Frank will serve in this capacity. The remaining eight board members are alumni trustees and are nominated by the College’s alumni before being elected by the board. Black and Tompkins will serve as alumni trustees. The other two board members are College President Phil Hanlon and New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu (R).

Tompkins, a government major during her time at the College, is currently a partner at the Washington D.C. law firm Hogan Lovells, practicing environmental, energy and Native American law. Before serving as the solicitor for the U.S. Department of the Interior from 2009 to 2017, Tompkins served as counsel to New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson (D) for five years. According to a College press release, Tompkins is believed to become the first Native American trustee in the College’s history following her appointment. Next month, Tompkins will also be awarded with an honorary degree at the Class of 2019 commencement ceremony.

Britton, an Asian studies major during her time at College, has received three Emmy nominations for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series — two for the television series “Friday Night Lights” and one for the television series “Nashville.” Her other Emmy nomination, for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie, was for her work in the television miniseries “American Horror Story.” Apart from her acting career, Britton has served as the 10th goodwill ambassador for the United Nations Development Programme since 2014.

A government major, lacrosse player and member of Dragon senior society while at the College, Black has been a managing partner of The Wicks Group in New York City since 2003. Black is a member of the 1769 society and was previously on the Dartmouth Alumni Council. He currently serves on the executive board of Harlem Lacrosse and Leadership, a nonprofit organization that provides urban school students lacrosse training as well as career and admissions counseling. Black has two daughters, one of whom, Danielle, is a member of the Class of 2021.

Frank, who obtained an MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Busines after graduating from the College as a philosophy major, has served as the CEO of Wheels, Inc. since 1975. Wheels, Inc. and its partner ALD Automotive manages over one million fleet vehicles worldwide. He has served on the College’s Call to Lead Campaign Executive Committee, the Board of Overseers of the Thayer School of Engineering and the executive committee of the Class of 1965. Last year, Frank, his wife Karen and their two sons — Daniel Frank ’92 and Jordan Frank ’94 — committed $5 million to create a scholarship fund that would allow every Dartmouth undergraduate to participate in a foreign study program.