The Weekend Roundup: Week 1

3.25.19.wtennis_DivyaKopalle.jpg

Women’s tennis faced a tough matchup in Dallas, falling to Southern Methodist University 6-1.

Baseball

The Dartmouth baseball team (7-11, 2-1 Ivy) played its first games of Ivy League play against Princeton University (4-13, 1-2 Ivy) this weekend, winning the series 2-1 on the road. The Big Green came out with a bang on Friday, beating the Tigers 23-3 in the first game and finishing off the double-header with a 10-8 victory in the afternoon. The Big Green recorded 21 hits on 45 at bats in the first game in a strong performance. In the second game, the Green and White trailed the Tigers 6-5 entering the ninth, but a two-run double from Ubaldo Lopez ’21 and a two-run homer from Trevor Johnson ’20 were enough to secure a victory. Sunday morning, however, Dartmouth’s bats froze up, and they could only muster two runs on seven hits in an 8-2 loss. 

The Big Green will travel to face Quinnipiac University on Wednesday, and then will head to New York City for a three-game set against Columbia next weekend.

Softball

Dartmouth was swept by Columbia this weekend in a three-game series, dropping to a 3-17 record overall and 0-3 in Ivy play. After holding a 4-2 lead in the fifth inning in the series opener on Saturday, the Big Green gave up three runs in the sixth to seal a 5-4 loss. On Sunday morning, Dartmouth again claimed an early lead but fell 9-1 after a run by the Lions. Despite strong offensive performances in the final game of the series from Billie McFadyen ’22, Calista Almer ’20 and Morgan Martinelli ’19, Columbia came out on top 6-4 through aggressive plate appearances. 

The Big Green looks to bounce back as it hosts the University of Pennsylvania this weekend.

Track and field

The men’s and women’s track and field teams headed off to the Sunshine State this weekend to compete in the University of North Florida’s Spring Break Invitational. The event was non-scoring, but the Big Green teams posted impressive showings. 

For the women, Lauren Sapone ’20 took first place in the meet in the 3000m steeplechase, finishing in 10:24.84. Teammate Rachel Ludwikowski ’21 finished 25 seconds behind her, making her the bronze finisher. The Big Green took four of the top six finishes in the high jump, with Maria Garman ’19 leading the pack by earning second place with a 1.77m jump. Alexa Jennings ’19 finished second in the 800m with a time of 2:10.58. Finally, Lily Anderson ’19 capped off the weekend with a first-place finish in the 5000m, crossing in 17:00.93, 13 seconds ahead of the second-place runner.

Three athletes on the men’s team also finished in the top three of their respective events. The Big Green showed its most dominant performance in the 400m hurdles, in which Parker Johnson ’19 and Max Frye ’21 took second and third place with times of 52.89 and 53.30, respectively. Donovan Spearman ’21 finished second in the 200m, posting a 21.22 second finish. 

Both the men’s and women’s teams will compete next at the UMass Invitational in Amherst, Massachusetts on April 6.

Men's golf

Big Green men’s golf competed at the Furman Invitational in Greenville, South Carolina this weekend, finishing ninth out of a 21-team field behind Sam Ohno’s ’21 solid play. Ohno parred on 29 of the first 36 holes, helping him to finish with a tournament best score of 41 in three rounds. James Turner ’21 had a great season debut after recovering from an injury, finishing two spots behind Ohno. 

Dartmouth travels to play Brown University and Cornell University this weekend in West Palm Beach, Florida.

Men's tennis

The No. 45 men’s tennis team narrowly beat out Utah State University on Saturday 4-3 and Rice University yesterday 4-1 to win the 61st Ralph O’Connor Rice Invitational, improving to 11-5 overall. 

On Saturday, doubles wins in the No. 2 and 3 spots respectively from teammates Peter Conklin ’21 and Casey Ross ’21 as well as Dan Martin ’21 and John Speicher ’21 helped Dartmouth take an early lead heading into singles. Martin continued his strong play, taking his singles match in two sets. Teammates Sid Chari ’22 and Charlie Broom ’20 won in three sets each to secure the victory for Dartmouth. 

On Sunday, the Big Green swept in doubles with a victory from Broom and David Horneffer ’20 on court one and another from Speicher and Martin on court three. In singles, Dartmouth claimed victory in all matches save the one on court one.

The Big Green will prepare for Ivy League play for the next two weeks, and then will travel to face Princeton University and the University of Pennsylvania to kick off conference play.

Women's tennis

The Big Green women’s tennis team fell to Southern Methodist University 6-1 on Friday and is now 3-11 this season with a seven-game ongoing losing streak. SMU took the No. 1 and 3 doubles positions heading into singles. Four consecutive singles victories for the Mustangs put Dartmouth away. Dartmouth’s singles win came from Chuyang Guan ’20, who took the final two sets of her match after losing the first to seal a victory. 

The Big Green travels to Harvard next Saturday to open Ivy League play.

Men's lacrosse

The Dartmouth men’s lacrosse team (2-5, 0-1 Ivy) dropped its Ivy League opener to Harvard University (4-4, 1-1 Ivy) on Saturday in Hanover. A career-high 17 saves from freshman goalie Daniel Hincks ’22 was not enough to stave off the Crimson offense, which outscored the Big Green 12-9. Matt Paul ’21 led Dartmouth’s offense with four goals, with Ben Martin ’20 adding two more. 

The Big Green will look to even their Ivy League record this Saturday in Ithaca with an afternoon game against Cornell University.

Women's lacrosse

In a dominant performance, the Dartmouth women’s lacrosse team (4-3, 2-0 Ivy) toppled Columbia University (3-7, 0-3 Ivy) on the road, beating the Lions 21-2. The 19-goal margin is the Big Green’s largest in an Ivy League game in nearly 40 years of play. The Big Green boasted eight goal scorers, with Campbell Brewer ’19 leading the way with a career-high six goals. Kellen D’Alleva ’19 paced the Big Green in points, earning seven on six assists and a goal. Kathryn Giroux ’19 notched 15 draw controls, the most in a regular season conference game in Ivy League history. Giroux’s record-setting night put her at 316 draws in her career, which was enough to move her into first place all-time in the Ivy League. The Big Green goalkeepers, Katie Forman ’21 and Becca Wade ’22, saved five shots cumulatively while allowing just two goals. 

Dartmouth returns home to Hanover to kick off a four-game homestand at Scully-Fahey Field Tuesday afternoon, taking on on Hofstra University and then Harvard University on Saturday.