Editor's Note

Renaissance translates to “rebirth” in French. The term “renaissance” evokes images of art, science and humanism, of the printing press and the Sistine Chapel. It evokes beauty and transformation and humane progress. Similarly, the start to a new term is certainly full of change and adjustments to those changes ­— your schedule, your wardrobe, switching from being cooped up in Thayer to being cooped up in the Life Sciences Center. “New term, new me,” you say to yourself, as you walk leisurely, rather than scurry, to your 9L. And this may be how you get by for the first two weeks, as you temporarily remain energized from all that extra sun and sleep you gained over spring break. As the days get longer and your mind struggles to refocus on school, you become accustomed to the term. With the birds finally chirping in the morning, and plant life peeking through the not yet melted snow, Mirror wanted to focus on a topic that encompasses the feeling of spring (Is spring a feeling? We think so.) In this issue, we sat down with women trying to revolutionize the way we view women’s menstrual hygiene, art history professor Jane Carroll, novice and experienced sculptors from the studio art department and some multi-talented students (commonly known as “Renaissance men and women”). Spring is a time of the new, a time of rebirth and renewal, a time when we distance ourselves from the dark ages of snow and ice. Spring is our very own Renaissance.