The Weekend Roundup: Week 4

Basketball

Coming off of a two-week break, the women’s basketball team took on Harvard University for the second time this season. In the previous matchup at home on Jan. 6, the Big Green walked away with a 63-56 win which was its first home victory against the Crimson since January 2013. Despite a strong showing to start Ivy play for the Big Green, Harvard proved to be too much this time and Dartmouth fell 76-65.

The Crimson started the game off strong and outscored the Big Green 24-16 in the first quarter and held a lead the entire game. Cy Lippold ’19 led the Big Green with 17 points while Kate Letkewicz ’18 and co-captain Andi Norman ’18 each added 12 points. With the loss, the Big Green drop to 9-6 overall and 1-1 in Ivy play. The women return home to host Brown University on Friday and Yale University on Saturday.

Men’s basketball faced Harvard and fell 62-57 in overtime this past Saturday. Harvard led the entire first half, at times by up to 12 points. A closing 3-point field goal by Taylor Johnson ’18 closed Harvard’s lead to 27-18 at halftime. The Big Green mounted a huge rally after going down by 17 in the second half. The rally, sparked by James Foye ’20’s 3-pointer, helped Dartmouth outscore Harvard 30-21 in the second half, leading to a 48-48 tie.

The Big Green was unable to continue its momentum into the overtime period as the Crimson added an extra 14 points compared to Dartmouth’s nine. Johnson finished the game with 19 points, only three short of his career-high, nine rebounds and four assists. With the loss, the Big Green fall to 4-11 overall and 0-2 in Ivy league play. The men return to the road this weekend to continue Ivy play against Brown and Yale.

Ice Hockey

On consecutive nights, the men’s hockey team defeated the worst team and the best team in the Eastern College Athletic Conference by scores of 3-2. The Big Green downed 4-18-2 St. Lawrence University on Friday and beat 18-4-2 Clarkson University, the No. 2 team in the country, on Saturday. It was the second time this season that Dartmouth has knocked off a team then-ranked No. 2 nationally; the first was during a visit to the University of Denver.

Alex Jasiek ’19 scored the game-winner on a third-period power play to beat the Saints in Canton, New York for the first time since 2014. Charley Michalowski ’20 opened the scoring at the 8:25 mark of the first period when he put home a centering pass from Daniel Warpecha ’20.

Early in the second period, Shane Sellar ’20 and Quin Foreman ’21 broke away on a 2-on-1 rush, and Sellar put Dartmouth up 2-0. The Saints got a goal of their own four minutes later, but Jasiek’s tally 5:44 into the third period put Dartmouth up for good. Devin Buffalo ’18, who finished with 20 saves, would allow one more goal in the third. The Big Green outshot the Saints 27-22.

The Big Green ended Clarkson’s 15-game unbeaten streak the next night, becoming the lone blemish on the Golden Knights’ otherwise leading ECAC record of 10-1-1. Matt Baker ’21 scored a pair of goals, the second of which would be the game winner. Special teams proved critical for Dartmouth: The team killed a major penalty in the third period just after Baker knocked home a power-play goal to put Dartmouth ahead 3-2.

Dartmouth got the first goal of the night less than four minutes in when Kevan Kilistoff ’19 tapped in a loose puck. Clarkson evened the game at 1-1 later in the period. The two teams traded goals in the second period as well, with Dartmouth’s marker coming from Baker, whose eight tallies lead the team. Baker tipped in his game-winner from the top of the crease at the 6:47 mark of the final period. Adrian Clark ’20 shut the door on any Clarkson comeback bid. Clark finished with 24 saves while the Big Green took 22 shots.

The Big Green women were outscored by a total of 12-1 in a pair of home losses this weekend — first beaten 4-0 by No. 10 St. Lawrence University on Friday and then defeated 8-1 at the hands of No. 2 Clarkson University.

Neither the Saints nor the Big Green took a shot in the first six minutes, but St. Lawrence opened it up with a pair of goals between the eight- and 11-minute marks. The Saints added two more goals in the third period. Both teams played a clean game with just one penalty in 60 minutes. St. Lawrence outshot the home team 31-25 as Christine Honor ’19 stopped 27 shots.

The Golden Knights had put five goals past Honor before Dartmouth managed its first goal of the game on Saturday night. Christina Rombaut ’20 finally lit the lamp for the home team at the 12:40 mark of the second period, tipping in a power-play shot from Tess Bracken ’19. Shannon Ropp ’19 came in to relieve Honor after Clarkson’s fifth goal. She conceded one goal in the second period and two in the final frame while turning away 16 shots. Ropp and Honor faced a 44-shot barrage from the Golden Knights as Dartmouth managed just 15 shots of its own.

Skiing

The Nordic teams skied to a narrow 234-232 lead in the classic races of the St. Michael University’s Carnival on Saturday but was overtaken by the University of Vermont in the freestyle portion the following day. Currently the Big Green trails the Catamounts 483-437 in the team score with the final results to be determined in alpine competition next weekend.

At Sugarloaf, Maine, the alpine team won the men’s and women’s giant slalom to give Dartmouth an eight-point win to complete the Colby College Carnival, which began on Jan. 13 but was postponed to inclement weather.

Dartmouth also finished second to UVM in the women’s 5-kilometer classic and 10-kilometer freestyle in Sleepy Hollow, Vermont. Katharine Ogden ’21 was the top Big Green skier in the 5-km classic with a fourth-place finish. Lydia Blanchet ’19 finished behind Ogden and Emily Hyde ’19 rounded out the scoring. Blanchet was the second collegiate finisher in the 10-km freestyle, while Taryn Hunt-Smith ’19 and Hyde finished in fourth and fifth, respectively. But UVM skiers took the other three top-six positions, and the Catamounts barely edged Dartmouth in the points.

Co-captain Luke Brown ’18 led the Big Green in a winning effort in the 10-kilometer classic on Saturday. Brown finished second, about nine seconds behind winner Bill Harmeyer of UVM, followed by Callan DeLine ’18 in fourth and Gavin McEwen ’19 in eighth. But Dartmouth finished well behind the leaders in the 15-km freestyle. The Big Green totaled 76 points to finish in sixth among the 12 teams represented in the event. McEwen took 11th, the highest finish for Dartmouth, and Brown was 16th.

High winds at Sugarloaf postponed the Colby Carnival giant slalom to Sunday. Because the slalom was canceled, giant slalom points counted double in the team standings, and Dartmouth skiers made the most of the bonus. Co-captain Foreste Peterson ’18 won the women’s event by nearly a full second. Steph Currie ’20 finished fifth, and Alexa Dlouhy ’19 came in 16th. On the men’s side, Dartmouth took three spots in the top five: Tanguy Nef ’20 was second, and Brian McLaughlin ’18 and Thomas Woolson ’17 followed him up in fourth and fifth, respectively.

Squash

The Big Green fell to 4-5 on the season with an 8-1 loss at No. 2 Trinity College on Tuesday and an 8-1 loss to No. 4 Stanford University on Sunday. Against Trinity, co-captain Zainab Molani ’18 secured the one win in three games. Emma Roberts ’19, who fell in five games, was the only other Big Green player to pick up a game against the Bantams. Trinity has dropped just one match this season, a 5-4 loss to Princeton University.

Co-captain Becky Brownell ’18 won her match against her Stanford opponent on Sunday. Most of the women lost in three games, but Roberts managed to take her match to five games.

The Big Green left Hartford, Connecticut with a 9-0 loss to top-ranked Trinity. Carson Spahr ’19 played to a 3-1 defeat, and Matt Giegerich ’19 took two games off his Bantam opponent in the loss. Every other Big Green player was dispatched in three games, while Drew Monroe ’20 did not finish his match due to injury.

Swimming & Diving

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving earned victories at the Tate Ramsden Invitational this weekend, a meet named in honor of Tate Ramsden ’17, a former member of the men’s team who passed away in 2015. The men scored 878.5 points, while the women put up 768 points en route to defeating the University of Massachusetts Amherst and the State University of New York at New Paltz.

The meet featured two record-breaking swims from the Big Green. Connor LaMastra ’21 set a new pool and school record in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 1:47.54. LaMastra also took home victories in the 500-yard freestyle (4:37.57), 400-yard individual medley (4:00.67) and 200-yard backstroke (1:50.51). He also was a member of the winning 400-yard freestyle relay team that included Carter Jacobsen ’19, Henry Patrick ’19 and Tony Shen ’18. Matt Luciano ’21 won the 100-yard butterfly in 50.68 seconds, and Shen won the 200-yard freestyle in 1:40.80. Henry Senkfor ’18 took the victory in the 200-yard individual medley (1:53.47), Josh Hendell ’20 won the 1,650-yard freestyle in 16:10.53 and Delaney Hall ’19 won the 200-yard breaststroke in 2:05.03. Justin Sodokoff ’21 won both the 3-meter and 1-meter dives, with scores of 325.35 and 336.37, respectively.

On the women’s side, Hayley Winter ’18 set a new pool record in the 1,650-yard freestyle with a time of 17:07.10. Winter also won the 500-yard freestyle (5:01.75). In the 200-yard individual medley, Maggie Deppe-Walker ’21 won in a time of 2:10.40, leading a barrage of Big Green swimmers to the wall. Caroline Poleway ’19 (2:13.02), Molly Brickman ’19 (2:13.70), Hi’ilani Hopkins ’21 (2:14.28) and Jessica Wang ’18 (2:16.36) swept the next four places. Deppe-Walker also won the 100-yard breaststroke (1:06.48) and the 200-yard breaststroke (2:23.59), while Sophie Smith ’20 won the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 24.48. Poleway won both the 100-yard backstroke in 58.68 and the 200-yard backstroke in 2:08.65, and Laura Barthold ’19 took home the victory in the 100-yard freestyle in 53.19.

Track & Field

Men’s track and field came out on top this past weekend scoring 83 points to best league rivals Yale University (69) and Columbia University (26). Colin Minor ’18 threw a personal record of 18.29 meters (60-00.25 feet) in the weight throw and also finished second in shot put with a throw of 15.20 meters. Adam Couitt ’18 and Lloyd May ’18 finished first and second, respectively, in the 200-meter dash, edging out Yale’s Gregory Campbell who came in third. Zachary Plante ’18 and Myles Holt ’20 took first and second respectively in the 400-meter dash. Amos Cariati ’18 edged out Columbia first-year Vasilis Kopanas by seven-hundredths of a second, winning the 500-meter dash in 1:06.23. Tim Zepf ’21 and Nick Feffer ’21 blew away the competition with times of 1:54.92 and 1:55.70 as they finished first and second, respectively, in the 800-meter run. Matthew Sindelar ’18 finished first in the high jump, clearing 1.99 meters (6-06.25 feet). Ben Ose ’19 came in third in the pole vault after clearing 4.95 meters (16-02.75 feet) to move him to the fifth spot on Dartmouth’s men’s all-time list in the pole vault.

The women’s team also had an impressive performance against Columbia and Yale, taking home first with a score of 89 points compared to Columbia’s 55 and Yale’s 37. Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 finished first in the 60-meter hurdles and 200-meter dash finishing in 8.40 and 24.38 seconds, respectively. Abby Livingston ’18 and Anna DiMarcello ’21 went one and two, respectively, in the 800-meter run. Livingston finished six seconds ahead of DiMarcello with the fastest time run by any Ivy League woman this season. Bridget O’Neill ’18 ran a career personal record of 4:51.12 in the mile to edge out Yale’s Andrea Masterson by less than a second and Glenny Murphy ’21 came in third with a time of 5:02.18. In the 3,000-meter run, Dartmouth was no match for Yale’s Dana Klein who finished in 9:45.86. The Big Green took second, third and fourth place more than five seconds later. Julia Valenti ’20 and Brooke Brunet ’21 took one and two, respectively, in the pole vault, both completing 3.80m (12-05.50 ft). Similarly, the Big Green dominated the triple jump as Folasade Akinfe ’20 and Shanthi Hiremath ’20 claimed the top spots with final jumps of 11.77m (38-07.50 ft) and 11.19m (36-08.50 ft). Samantha Stevens ’21 won the shot put with a throw of 12.64 meters and Amelia Ali ’19 finished third, throwing 11.82 meters.

The Big Green head to Boston to compete in the Terrier Classic at Boston University this weekend.

Tennis

In back-to-back matches on Saturday, men’s tennis hosted Binghamton University and Quinnipiac University, blanking both teams 7-0 in the Big Green’s first non-tournament, non-scrimmage action since last April.

Against Binghamton, Dartmouth began the day by taking the doubles point, winning all three matches 6-1. Led by Charlie Broom ’20, who defeated his opponent 6-4, 6-1 at No. 1 singles, Dartmouth handily defeated the visiting Bearcats. Max Fliegner ’18 split sets with Binghamton’s Inigo Saez before defeating Saez in a third set super-tiebreaker. All other singles matches ended in straight sets in favor of the Big Green.

In its second match of the day, Dartmouth bested Quinnipiac without dropping a set. The men won the doubles point and all their singles matches to finish off a near perfect day. Peter Conklin ’21 and Casey Ross ’21 won 6-0, 6-0 at No. 4 and No. 5 singles, respectively.

The Big Green play two more home matches this Saturday against the University of Buffalo and St. John’s University.

Women’s tennis opened its season against Boston University with a 5-2 win on Wednesday. The Big Green took the doubles point, winning all three of its matches. This included a 6-2 win at the No. 1 position by co-captain Julia Schroeder ’18 and Abigail Chiu ’21. In singles, co-captain Kristina Mathis ’18, currently ranked No. 78 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s singles rankings, controlled her match against BU’s Iryna Kostirko. Chiu, Maddie Hwang ’21 and Schroeder ’18 each won their matches to seal the victory for the Big Green.

On Saturday, women’s tennis returned to action in its first ever matchup against Liberty University, beating the Flames 4-3 to move to 2-0 on the season. Despite a win at No. 1 doubles by Chiu and Schroeder, the Big Green lost the doubles point after dropping the No. 2 and No. 3 matches. Mathis, Schroeder and Hwang won comfortably at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 5 singles, respectively. Racquel Lyn ’20 battled back against Lara Sores, winning 4-6, 7-6, 6-2 to contribute to Dartmouth’s team win.

The Big Green heads to Atlanta, Georgia this weekend to compete in the ITA National Indoor Kick-Off Weekend.