The Weekend Roundup: Week 4

Sailing

The Big Green sailing team won the Hewitt Trophy while taking seventh at the 75th Danmark Trophy.

The sailing team had two teams in the water at the Hewitt Trophy at Lake Mascoma in western New Hampshire. The “Big Green 2” team of Jake McGraw ’20 and Alyssa Berger ’19 in Division A scored 23 points, the team of Max Clapp ’21 and Eloise Burn ’21 in Division B scored 29 points and Timothy Greenhouse ’21 and James Bonham ’20 in Division C scored 31 points. The team was in first overall at the end of every one of its 21 races on the day, with the exception of after the 4A race, in which the “Big Green 1” team took the lead. The “Big Green 1” team finished fifth overall, including 10 top-five finishes.

The 75th Danmark Trophy got off to late start as a result of early thunderstorms, but the team of Chris Williford ’19, Rebecca McElvain ’19, Duncan Williford ’18 and Paige Clarke ’20. After a slow start, the team posted 13 top-10 finishes, including four first place finishes. In total, the team posted 108 points in Division A and 138 in Division B to finish seventh overall with 246 points. The College of Charleston won the trophy with 197 points.

Field Hockey

After two overtime periods and two shootouts, the field hockey team pulled out a 3-2 victory against Brown University at Providence, Rhode Island. The Big Green improved to 4-5 overall with their first win in Ivy League play. During regulation play, Lia Constantine ’21 and Gemma Bautista ’19 contributed goals in the eighth and 44th minutes, respectively. The goal was Constantine’s second on the season and Bautista’s fourth. After two delays for lightning, the teams remained locked in a 2-2 tie at the end of regulation play. The score remained unchanged after two periods of overtime, sending the game to a shootout. With the shootout tied at 2, Kira Koehler '21 won the game in the seventh round of the shootout. The Big Green had 20 shots to Brown’s 18, while both teams had seven penalty corners through the second overtime period. Goalkeeper Hailey Valerio ’19 made six saves and several important stops over 100 minutes in goal to get the win.

The Big Green will return to action Saturday, Oct. 7 against the University of Pennsylvania at 12 p.m.

Football

Two weeks, two thrilling wins for the Big Green. For the second week in a row, victory came down to the last play of the game. Against Holy Cross, it was a game-saving tackle on a two-point conversion in overtime. Against the University of Pennsylvania, it was the Dartmouth offense powering across the goal line as time expired, turning a 13-10 deficit into a 16-10 victory to open Ivy League play.

Quarterback Jared Gerbino ’20, who specializes in the wildcat package, provided the spark on the final drive. Penn had just taken its only lead of the game on a field goal with 5:37 remaining. Following a touchback, Jack Heneghan ’18 converted on third down and then moved Dartmouth into Quaker territory with a five-yard completion to Emory Thompson ’18 on fourth-and-three. Three snaps later, Dartmouth faked a sweep and Gerbino kept the ball himself, breaking a pair of Penn tackles on a 27-yard run down to the Penn 15. On the next play, Thompson took the ball on the end-around all the way down to the Penn 2. Dartmouth gained one yard on the next three plays, leaving the Big Green one yard away from victory and three seconds away from the end of the game. Head coach Buddy Teevens ’79 elected to go for it, and Gerbino delivered, going up the gut and into the end zone as time expired.

Dartmouth had 414 yards of total offense, 199 from Heneghan through the air and 215 on the ground. Gerbino was the most effective rusher, averaging 6.5 yards on 11 carries. Ryder Stone ’18 also had 11 carries for 50 yards. Heneghan had a clean night with 23 completions on 30 attempts and one touchdown, a 12-yard strike to Hunter Hagdorn ’20 in the opening minutes of the second quarter. On the other side of the ball, Dartmouth held its opponent to under two touchdowns for the second time this season. Linebacker Jack Traynor ’19 led the team with nine tackles, followed by Eric Meile ’18 and Danny McManus ’17 with eight each.

Volleyball

A season ago, Dartmouth won just two Ivy League games all fall. This year, the Big Green equaled that total in one weekend of home play.

With an 11-kill performance from Mallen Bischoff ’21 and a double-double from Tori Dozier ’20, Dartmouth blanked Columbia University on Friday. The Lions played the Big Green to a 9-9 tie in the first set before Dartmouth broke it open to win 25-18. The home team never trailed in the second set as it won 25-15. Set three was the closest of the match, with Columbia holding a narrow lead through the first 20 points. A pair of Lion errors and kills by Dozier and Tola Akinwumi ’21 gave Dartmouth a 12-10 advantage which continued to widen as the Lions committed six errors in the final minutes of play. The Big Green took the set 25-17 to win the match.

In a 3-1 win against Cornell University on Saturday, Dartmouth hit better in every set. The Big Green led the first set 18-11 before the Big Red clawed its way back for a 27-25 win. Dartmouth did the same to Cornell in the second set, coming back from a 17-12 deficit to win in extra points. The third and fourth sets were not so close as Dartmouth took the upper hand with 22 total kills and just three errors. Elise Petit ’21 finished off the 25-15 third set with a kill and a Cornell error ended the fourth set to give Dartmouth the victory.

Golf

Both men’s and women’s golf teams traveled to compete in tournaments against other Ivy League teams this past weekend. The men’s team played in the Macdonald Cup in New Haven, Connecticut, while the women’s team took part in the Princeton Invitational in Princeton, New Jersey. Both teams finished ninth in their respective fields, with the men at 48 over par while the women finished 87 over. Yale University won on its home course at +12 with Stirling University one stroke behind, while Georgetown University won the Princeton Invitational at +41. 

Jason Liu ’21 led the Big Green with +6 overall and a 6-over 76 in the third round, tying for ninth overall in the individual rankings. James Turner ’21 was second on the team tied for 29th overall at 12-over, posting the best score for the team in the third round with a 5-over 75. Team captain Ian Kelsey ’18 started off strong, but finished in 38th at 13-over. Will Bednarz ’20, Sam Ohno ’21 and John Lazor ’19 rounded out the team scoring.

On the women’s side, Isabelle Kane ’18 led the team in 16th place at 15-over. Jessica Kittelberger ’18, who was in seventh at the end of two rounds of play, suffered in the third round with +13 on the day to fall to 34th. Catharine Roddy ’19 was one stroke behind with a +21 in 37th. Moon Cheong ’21, Julianne Strauch ’21 and Maddie Nelson ’20 also scored.

Men's soccer

It took over 113 minutes but Dartmouth extended its season winning streak to six with a 2-1 overtime win over Princeton University. Despite seven shots for the Big Green and five for the Tigers, the game remained scoreless through the first half. Princeton broke through in the 53rd minute as Jeremy Colvin, the Tigers’ leading scorer, took a pass from Sean McSherry and buried a left-footed shot from the top of the box. Nine minutes later, Dartmouth equalized. A deep pass from Dawson McCartney ’21 found Justin Donawa ’19 who looped a header into the left post. Neither team could find the back of the net for the remainder of regulation and the contest headed for overtime under darkening skies. Only one shot between both teams came in the first overtime period despite three Dartmouth corner kicks — but the game would end on a set piece. Just over three minutes into the second overtime, Donawa lofted a free kick toward the right side for a streaking Wyatt Omsberg ’18. Omsberg tapped the ball in front of the net and Matt Danilack ’18 finished it off with a diving header. The victory is Dartmouth’s first conference win of the season and the fifth overall win for Christopher Palacios ’21, who finished the game with one save.

Women's soccer

The Big Green held off No. 14 Princeton University for the first half, but not the second, on Saturday. The Tigers managed just one shot in the first 45 minutes of play. Dartmouth had four attempts of its own, including a one-touch shot from Alyssa Neuberger ’20 on a nice pass from Remy Borinsky ’19, but none made it past Princeton keeper Natalie Grossi. The Tigers’ Abby Givens broke the scoreless tie in the 68th minute with a right-footed shot which went between the legs of a Dartmouth defender and past the outstretched arms of a diving Mariel Gordon ’21. With fewer than nine minutes remaining, Givens dribbled into the box and split a pair of defenders for her second goal of the afternoon. Seven games remain in the schedule for Dartmouth (4-6), including five Ivy League matchups. The Big Green is still in search of its first conference win.

Correction Appended (October 2, 2017): The original version of this article stated that field hockey player Sarah Tabeek '18 scored the game-winning goal in the fifth round of the shootout, when Kira Koehler '21 won the game in the seventh. The article has been updated to reflect this change.