Guide to off-campus dining: rankings of popular spots

Lou's is a popular spot for brunch.
Lou's is a popular spot for brunch.

Off-campus

Molly’s

4.5 stars

Come for the bread, stay for the butter. Molly’s is an affordable restaurant that offers a wide range of options, from burgers to pasta to mac and cheese. Accommodating for big groups, this is a great place to have dinner with a bunch of friends or visiting family members if they visit. If you’re nice, they’ll split the checks — useful on a campus whose population predominately prefers cards to cash.

43 Main Street, Hanover, N.H.

Sunday-Thursday: 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m.

Friday-Saturday: 11:30 a.m.-12 a.m.

Lou’s

4.5 stars

You probably ate here at the recommendation of your tour guide when you visited campus. While I can’t confirm whether or not they pay them to say that, it is true that Lou’s is a Dartmouth landmark. Lou’s pies will be a constant in your college career, as many a club will attempt to lure you to its meetings with the promise of the establishment’s delicious pie and coffee. I would be remiss if I did not mention Lou’s challenge, one of many challenges held dear by Dartmouth students. The challenge is to stay awake all night until Lou’s opens at 6 a.m. and to enter as the doors open to feast upon your reward. The most tragic reality about Lou’s is that it closes every day at 3 p.m. Luckily, there are other options in town.

30 Main Street, Hanover, N.H.

Monday-Friday: 6 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday-Sunday: 7 a.m. -3 p.m.

Salt Hill Pub

3.5 stars

Salt Hill Pub, a restaurant and bar, attracts a diverse crowd. Often featuring live music or trivia nights, Salt Hill is generally busiest on weekend nights. The menu has an overall Irish-pub inspired theme, although standouts include nachos and a falafel platter that surpasses all expectations. Prepare for very generous servings.

7 Lebanon Street

Monday-Thursday: 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m.

Friday-Saturday: 11:30 a.m.-1 a.m.

Sunday: 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m.

Murphy’s on the Green

3 stars

Murphy’s is a small bar with a slightly more upscale menu than Molly’s (read: more expensive), typically drawing a 21+ crowd. The size of the room means that it’s far easier to get seating for two than four, and it’s unadvisable to try and seat larger groups. To ensure you get a table, it’s a good idea to call ahead and ask for a reservation. The atmosphere can get loud, as the tables are all seated close together and there are televisions playing sports scattered throughout the restaurant.

11 Main Street, Hanover, N.H.

Monday-Thursday: 4 p.m.-11 p.m.

Friday-Saturday: 11 a.m.-11 p.m.

Sunday: 10 a.m.-10 p.m.

Morano Gelato

5 stars

Rumors swirl that this establishment may be one of the greatest gelato stands in America. It’s certainly the greatest in Hanover. The gelato is made fresh daily, and the 16 flavor options change every day. While the spot focuses on gelato, one can order other treats, like an “affogato,” a gelato with a shot of expresso poured on top. Additionally, in the winter they offer a very popular hot chocolate.

57 Main Street, Hanover, N.H.

Sunsay-Thursday: 11:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m.

Friday-Saturday: 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m.

Thai Orchid/Tuk Tuk Thai/ Kata Thai

4 stars/3.5 stars/3.5 stars

Within walking distance of the Green, there are three different Thai restaurants. Each has it’s own décor and vibe, but all offer similar menu items at relatively similar prices. However, people generally have a favorite of the three based on the price of their favorite dish, consistency of service or quickness of meal arrival. Try all three to make the most educated decision.

44 Main Street, Hanover, N.H.

5 South Main Street Hanover, N.H.

6 Allen Street Hanover, N.H.

See websites for hours

Skinny Pancake

4.5 stars

One of the newest off-campus locations to eat, Skinny Pancake offers a variety of tasty crepes, from savory to sweet. Some of the most popular items include the “Lovermaker,” a sweet crepe with nutella and strawberries, and the savory “Déjà vu” with local sausage, Cabot cheddar and apples served with local maple syrup on the side. Skinny Pancake also offers shareable menu items, like fries, and general breakfast items, like a breakfast burrito or egg dishes, and crepe-alternatives, such as salads.

3 Lebanon Street, Hanover, N.H.

Sunday-Tuesday: 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday: 8 a.m.-10 p.m.

Friday-Saturday: 8 a.m.-11 p.m.

Pine

3.5 stars

Pine is an upscale restaurant located on the first floor of the Hanover Inn. It has the priciest menu of the places in town, but with award-winning executive chef Justin Dain at the helm, it becomes clear why. Pine boasts award-winning mac and cheese and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. It often caters formal events, especially those held in the Hanover Inn, and draws its largest crowds on big weekends when the hotel is booked up — so if you want to eat there for dinner during first year parents’ weekend, make your reservation very early. Tip: brunch items are usually on the less expensive side and probably their tastiest offerings.

2 East Wheelock Street, Hanover, N.H.

Sunday-Thursday: 6:30 a.m.-11 p.m.

Friday-Saturday: 6:30a.m.-1 a.m.

Off-Off Campus

Jesse’s Restaurant and Tavern

4 stars

Although better known for its surf-and-turn dinner menu, on Sunday mornings Jesse’s steakhouse has all-you-can-eat brunch special for the almost reasonable price of $20. This gem features pancakes, waffles, fresh fruit, bagels, pastries, cakes, prime rib, cheesy grits, soups, salads and every kind of pie you can name. It’s also only worth the drive and cost if you have the time and stomach space to devote to a lengthy, multi-faceted brunch. This is the kind of meal that will last you the entire day, and possibly into the next.

224 Lebanon Street, Hanover, N.H.

Monday-Thursday: 4:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.

Friday-Saturday: 4:30 p.m.-10 p.m.

Sunday 10 a.m.-9:30 p.m.

Ice Cream Fore-U

5 stars

Have you ever been to an ice cream stand and felt positively under-whelmed by the choices? You might like to take a quick drive to Ice Cream Fore-U, a place that specializes in sheer quantity and advertises over 50 different flavors. There are both hard and soft serve options, as well as milkshakes, sundaes and other favorites, all for very reasonable prices. Trust me, order a baby or small size (the portions are huge). This spot is located next to a mini-golf center, and so one can grab a bite after hitting the batting cages or playing a round of mini-golf.

298 North Plainfield Road, Lebanon, N.H.

Monday-Sunday: 11 a.m.-9 p.m.

4-Aces Diner

4 stars

Want some Lou’s without the line? Go to 4-Aces. It’s a diner. It’s got diner food. Still not open past 3 p.m., be warned.

23 Bridge Street, West Lebanon, N.H.

Monday-Sunday: 6 a.m.-3 p.m.