Sharma: Financial Literacy and DDS

Last term, I consistently used a quarter of my weekly meal swipes. Regularly skipping breakfast and lunch, I quickly finished off my DBA as a result of my newfound KAF addiction. As a result, I made the switch to the Convenience 45 plan, with a weekly allotment of five swipes. With more than $900 in DBA, I had full faith in my ability to manage my KAF addiction while still using meal swipes at other dining locations.

In the last week of the term, I have less than $20 in DBA and long-expired meal swipes. As someone who grew up eating out a lot, I’ve had my fair share of food from restuarants in town. Although it is fun to eat out with friends on a weekend night, this isn’t always feasible. As the term progresses, so does the academic rigor. Spicing up our meal plans becomes increasingly difficult. For me, even grabbing a latte from Dirt Cowboy after classes often seems like a luxury. Like many students here, one too many Collis dinners can make takeout or delivery seem even more appealing. I, too, found myself shelling out cash for adequate, albeit bland, options. In week 10, I’m starting to wonder if it was all worth it. Although I have a soft spot for Tuk Tuk, many of the restaurants on Main Street leave much to be desired.

That being said, I did make an attempt a few weeks ago to take matters into my own hands. After trekking through the cold to the Co-Op on a frigid Sunday afternoon with my gym buddies, we finally arrived. The store was bright, filled with fresh groceries and bustling with families. I felt a sudden pang of nostalgia for my neighborhood Whole Foods back home, with its fresh produce, spicy hummus and roasted dried fruits. Nevertheless, I made do at the Co-Op. My friends and I bought backpacks full of yummy snacks and breakfast items to accompany the care package foods sent from home. Within a week, only the TV dinners and tiny, albeit very overpriced, container of gourmet gelato had been consumed. Cream cheese, bagels and strawberries all went to the trash. Disheartened by my failure to follow a healthier and more cost-effective approach, I gave up on preparing breakfast and went back to my old ways. At this point in the term, I’ve gone back to frequenting KAF a little too much.

In light of this predicament, I’ve done some thinking. Does having a limited amount of DBA and meal swipes make us more financially conscious adults? For students who regularly eat at pricier locations like KAF and Collis, this is a legitimate concern. Since KAF is not a DDS establishment, they do not accept meal swipes. In fact, many students go negative in DBA to get their KAF fix. With reading period on the horizon, stress-eating becomes a way of life. Although the Dartmouth GET Funds app is generally helpful for keeping track of balances, it still doesn’t settle the meal swipe or DBA dilemma for students. Instead of requiring every undergrad to purchase a meal plan, the College could do better.

Beyond a baseline of meal swipes, students should have the option of using remaining funds at their discretion ­­— whether through DBA or discretionary funds at any College retailer, including Collis Market. Students should be able to choose how they want to manage their finances. This might seem counterintuitive at first, but giving students greater financial freedom would prepare them for life outside the Dartmouth bubble. Most of us already have debit cards and credit cards for special occasions and emergencies off-campus. If the total cost of DDS meal plans were minimized and financial flexibility for students were maximized, everyone would benefit.