Letter to the Editor: Love Bernie; Vote for Hillary

I love Bernie (the other one, not me) and agree with most of his positions. However, I will be voting for Hillary Clinton today because she will make a better president for our country and a better leader for our chaotic world. Not only does she have the intelligence, knowledge and broad experience needed for the job, but she also has demonstrated a life long commitment to improving the well-being of all peoples.

She is a multi-dimensional problem solver, capable of analyzing events, forming appropriate responses to changing situations and is always guided by her sense of fairness and empathy. She is not an ideologue, but a practical politician who has demonstrated an ability, when appropriate, to compromise with the opposition to pass progressive legislation. While she and Bernie agree on most issues, I believe she is best positioned to get legislation passed that actually implements those goals and values.

The strategy that some Democrats say they will follow is to vote for Bernie in the primary to send a message against the current obscene disparity in wealth and opportunity, but then vote for Hillary in the general election where she is best positioned to win. Hillary understands the message. She has laid out solutions that support working families, that will level the economic playing field, and that will recreate a vibrant middle class.

If one believes that Hillary can win and is most qualified to get policies enacted that she and Bernie agree on, then this strategy should be reconsidered. I urge Democrats to support Hillary Clinton in the primary and not wait for the general election. A strong win in New Hampshire will send an important message that Democrats are united in our belief that we are still a dynamic country capable of improving, and that Hillary can best lead all citizens to a prosperous future.

Former State Rep. Bernie Benn

Hanover, New Hampshire