Four Years at Dartmouth: A Timeline

Freshman Year: 2011-2012

In September 2011, the Class of 1953 Commons, which can accommodate 400 more students than the previous dining hall, opened.

Republican presidential candidates visited Hanover for a College-hosted debate in anticipation of the New Hampshire Republican primary in January.

In December, the Hanover Inn closed for $41 million in renovations that lasted a year and a half. The project was almost $21 million over budget.

Crispin Scott ’13 was found dead in a Barcelona apartment while studying abroad on a program sponsored by Portland State University. Landlord Oscar Vicente Castro Cedeno was charged with the murder. Friends and classmates remembered him for his intelligence, sense of humor and generous spirit.

In January, Andrew Lohse ’12 published an opinion column in The Dartmouth accusing Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity of hazing its pledges. The column, which provided graphic depictions of the alleged hazing, also accused the College’s administration of ignoring abuses by the Greek system.

In March, Janet Reitman’s article titled “Confessions of an Ivy League Frat Boy” was published in Rolling Stone magazine detailing Lohse’s story. The College charged 27 members of SAE with hazing violations.

In April, after contradictory evidence to Lohse’s account came to light, all charges were dropped. The College placed the house on three terms of social probation for hazing, disorderly conduct and serving alcohol to minors.

On March 23, President Barack Obama nominated College President Jim Yong Kim to lead the World Bank. After his nomination, Kim went on a “listening tour” of eight countries to promote his candidacy.

In April, the World Bank’s directors selected Kim for the Bank’s presidency. He left his Parkhurst Hall office on June 30 after the second-shortest presidential tenure at the College.

Dartmouth Medical School was renamed the Geisel School of Medicine to honor Theodor Geisel ’25, also known as Dr. Seuss, and his wife Audrey in April. Some criticized the decision.

Sophomore Year: 2012-2013

The College named the 2012-13 academic year as the “Year of the Arts” with performers including Wynton Marsalis and Yo-Yo Ma visiting Hanover. In addition, the Black Family Visual Arts Center opened in the fall.

Over the summer, Dean of the College Charlotte Johnson crafted a new alcohol and hazing policy that allowed Safety and Security officers to perform random, unannounced walkthroughs of Greek houses. Greek leaders expressed disappointment with many of the changes.

In November, the College launched the Dartmouth Bystander Initiative created by clinical psychologist Jennifer Sayre ’93 that aims to mitigate assault and hazing by empowering bystanders.

On Nov. 29, University of Michigan Provost Phil Hanlon ’77 was selected to succeed Kim as the 18th College President.

In December, the College admitted 464 students early decision, after applications declined by 12.5 percent. Regular decision applications declined by three percent.

Beginning with winter term, the College placed Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity on three terms of suspension for hazing violations. The punishment came after Yesuto Shaw ’15 wrote a column in The Dartmouth alleging that he experienced hazing as a new member of the fraternity.

Around a dozen students, organized under the name Real Talk Dartmouth, protested the prevalence of sexual assault, racism and homophobia at the College during the annual Dimensions at Dartmouth show.

On April 24, the College canceled classes for the first time for reasons unrelated to weather since 1986 after anonymous posters wrote violent threats toward the protestors on Bored at Baker.

In May, a group of more than 30 students and alumni filed a Clery Act complaint against the College alleging violations of sexual assault; LGBTQ, racial and religious discrimination; hate crimes, bullying and hazing at Dartmouth.

Also in May, the Department of Education launched a Title IX compliance review of the College. The investigation, which was not initiated by a specific complaint, relates to sexual harassment grievance procedures, the response to sexual harassment claims and the designation and notice of a Title IX coordinator.

Junior Year: 2013-2014

In July, the College announced that the Right Rev. James Tengatenga would become the Tucker Foundation’s dean. Following pushback from students and staff, who criticized Tengatenga’s past statements on homosexuality, the College revoked the appointment in August.

Carolyn Dever, then current Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Vanderbilt University, was selected as the College’s next Provost and officially assumed that post on July 1.

The number of students applying to Dartmouth dropped 14 percent in 2014. Following the announcement, the admissions office conducted a survey of non-applicants to gather data about the shift.

Five members of the Panhellenic Council decided to abstain from winter recruitment activities, stating that the rush process perpetuated the Greek system’s flaws. Despite initial confusion, a slightly modified version of recruitment occurred and 95 women received bids.

In January, an online post on Bored at Baker outlined the steps to rape a specific member of the Class of 2017, identifying her by name and residence hall. Students reacted with outrage, and hundreds gathered on the Green to take a stance against sexual assault. The author of the post has since been identified.

In February, a group of students released the “Freedom Budget” — an eight-page document outlining more than 70 proposals that aim to change the distribution of power and resources at the College.

Later, in April, a group of students, dissatisfied with the College’s response to the document, occupied President Hanlon’s office to demand a more thorough response. The protestors left the office following two days of occupation after representatives of the College signed an agreement to pursue no disciplinary action beyond “low-level judicial review” and a decision to undertake a campus climate survey.

In February and March, the Dartmouth community mourned Torin Tucker ’15 and Blaine Steinberg ’15. Services following each death allowed friends and family to grieve and remember the juniors — Tucker for his commitment to community and Steinberg for her inclusivity and drive.

In March, jurors acquitted Parker Gilbert ’16 of all charges: five counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault and one misdemeanor count of criminal trespass.

In April, the College announced a $100 million anonymous donation, the largest gift in the institution’s history.

In April, Dean of the College Charlotte Johnson announced that she was leaving the College to accept the position of vice president at Scripps College.

In August, the Department of Education began reviewing Dartmouth’s Clery Act compliance. The investigation came more than a year after students and alumni filed a complaint alleging violations of sexual assault; LGBTQ, racial and religious discrimination; hate crimes, bullying and hazing at Dartmouth.

Senior Year: 2014-2015

In September, members of the Intrafraternity Council voted unanimously to abolish pledge term.

In November, a record-setting 1,856 people applied early decision to Dartmouth, which represents a more than 10 percent increase from last year’s pool.

Also in November, dozens of students enrolled in Religion 65: “Sports, Ethics and Religion” were implicated in an academic dishonesty case after professor Randall Balmer found a discrepancy between the number of students digitally submitting answers and the number of students present. Later, in January, the College handed down various sanctions on 64 students involved in the incident. Many of those students were varsity athletes.

In January, College President Phil Hanlon announced the “Moving Dartmouth Forward” policy initiative, a plan to address high risk drinking, sexual assault and inclusivity. Initiatives announced included a residential community system, a hard alcohol ban, a mandatory four-year sexual violence prevention and education program and a code of conduct.

In April, the College derecognized Alpha Delta fraternity in response to an incident concerning the branding of new members last fall. The College found AD responsible for violating the College’s standards of conduct and its terms of its suspension at the time of the incident. AD’s appeal the following month was denied.

In April, interim Dean of the College Inge-Lise Ameer was appointed to the newly created position of vice provost for student affairs, effective on July 1, 2015.

In May, the College reported that 40 percent of the student body participated in the Association of American Universities sexual assault campus climate survey sent out to students in April. The data from the survey will be made available in the fall.

On May 1, roughly 150 students participated in a march to “fight police brutality and complicity/complacency at Dartmouth.” The following day, around 20 students protested outside Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity’s annual Pigstick party and Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority’s Derby event.

A petition started on May 6 garnered 546 supporters in calling for the resignation of Student Assembly president-elect Frank Cunningham ’16 following his actions at a student protest. The protest was held at Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority during its annual Derby event. Cunningham released a campus-wide apology after the incident.

The Memorial Challenge was held on May 23 in honor of Blaine Steinberg and Torin Tucker who both members of the Class of 2015 who died suddenly last year. The campaign raised $35,672 that will go toward cardiac research at the Heart and Vascular Center at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.

Delta Delta Delta sorority voted on May 28 to disaffiliate from its national organization and become a local sorority. Tri-Delt will receive financial support from the College, but still must deal with various logistical issues before reincorporating as a local.