Hsu: Smarter Than You Think

To most freshmen, there is nothing “smart” about SmartChoice20 — the meal plan that they are assigned for their first term. Many blame the dreaded “freshman 15” on this mandatory meal plan, while others simply feel irked by their inability to use every meal swipe, leading to one too many wasted swipes by the end of the week. In spite of its shortcomings,the SmartChoice20 is a boon rather than a bane for freshmen — provided you take advantage of it.

When students transition to life at the College, they must learn to be organized and independent. The challenge of using all 20 meal swipes within the span of one week forces students to use their organizational skills. Juggling academics, extracurriculars and a social life can be extremely difficult — the SmartChoice20 meal plan can encourage students to manage their time efficiently. Although I initially struggled with planning my day so as to use every meal swipe, I was a self-proclaimed pro by the end of the fall term.

The SmartChoice20 plan also forces students to take a break from studying. When I am frantically studying for a midterm, for example, I have the tendency to skip meals, opting instead to simply get candy from Novack Cafe. Knowing that I had to use my meal swipe, however, encouraged me to go to the Class of 1953 Commons with my friends. Taking study breaks and socializing, rather than constantly cramming, can actually make studying more effective and reduce stress.

Freshmen on the SmartChoice20 plan also have an incentive to familiarize themselves with the dining services. Because each meal swipe has a set monetary value, students must purchase enough food to avoid letting their swipe go to waste. Thus students come to learn the prices of different food products and how to manage their money. By the time winter term rolls around, freshmen can competently navigate the various campus dining options.

One of the biggest criticisms of SmartChoice20 is that it encourages overeating, leading to rapid weight gain. I won’t deny that it is easy to gorge on desserts at FoCo. The reality, however, is that if you have strong enough self-control, you can eat a meal at FoCo without going overboard. The frequent trips to FoCo, typical of students on the SmartChoice20, help strengthen that self-control — an important quality that can promote long-term success and happiness. There will always be harmful temptations in life, regardless of where you are. Just remember that the next time you successfully avoid FoCo cookies — or at least consume them in moderation — you are actually cultivating a practical and highly underrated life skill.

Personally, I tend to skip breakfast because I would much rather sleep in than force myself to wake up early and eat. Yet numerous studies have shown that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. A study from the University of Bath, for example, found that people who eat breakfast burn calories more quickly and have lower blood sugar than people who opt to skip breakfast. With SmartChoice20, students must eat breakfast almost every day if they want to make the most of their meal plan. At a time when freshmen are still adjusting to the physical tolls of college life, the SmartChoice20 provides the added benefit of encouraging students to get out of bed and start their day early with a meal.

As much as I support mandating the SmartChoice20 for freshman fall, tweaking the plan a bit would improve its faults. Many of the complaints about SmartChoice20 revolve around the price differentiation of meal swipes according to breakfast, lunch and dinner times. This can be troublesome, as not everyone has the same schedule when it comes to eating meals. If students could use meal swipes freely without these pre-set time constraints, making the most of the meal plans would be much easier. Additionally, if remaining meal swipes at the end of the week could roll over to the next week, more students may sign up for the SmartChoice20.

The freshman fall term meal plan has its shortcomings, but a closer look may also reveal its virtues. The unexpected benefits it can provide to freshmen who actually use their meal swipes more than make up for any small annoyances.