Greek leaders support Assembly policy

Greek organization leaders responded positively to a Student Assembly resolution that will provide dues-assistance funds to the governing council of Greek organizations in which a certain number of members complete Dartmouth Bystander Initiative training, pending undergraduate finance committee approval. Sorority and fraternity presidents added, however, that DBI training should be a priority of all Greek organizations regardless of financial incentives.

According to the new policy, which the Assembly passed March 25, if 25 members or half of sophomore and junior members in a house complete a six-hour DBI leadership training session, its governing council will be rewarded with $2,000 in dues-assistance funds.

Organizations under the governance of the Interfraternity Council, the Panhellenic Council, the Coeducational Council, the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations or the National Pan-Hellenic Council can receive the funding.

The DBI training consists of either one- or six-hour sessions. The program teaches students to intervene in situations where they believe the safety of another student is threatened.

Connie Gong ’15, president of The Tabard coed fraternity, participated in the six-hour DBI training last fall. She said she plans to encourage other members of her house to complete the training, adding that she would have done this despite the added incentive.

“When we’re socializing, you should step in if you see something you’re uncomfortable with,” Gong said. “The DBI really tries to send that message.”

Mike Haughey ’15, Alpha Delta fraternity president, said that although the incentive is a benefit, students should undergo training regardless of the money. Haughey said he underwent the one-hour DBI training this summer with several other members of his fraternity.

“We’re trying to make Dartmouth as safe a space as possible,” Haughey said. “The fact that there’s also funding there is fantastic, but we shouldn’t lose sight of the ultimate goal.”

Haughey said that along with encouraging current members to receive training, AD’s executive board members will alter the fraternity’s expectations for new members, emphasizing expected behavior at the house’s social events.

“It’s a really interesting way to fuse the two issues because going Greek can be expensive, and getting these funds can often be hard to come by,” Haughey said.

Delta Delta Delta sorority president Camila Vigdor ’15 said the added scholarships will encourage potential new members to join the Greek system.

“As a house, as women on campus, we feel a responsibility to look out for other women on campus,” Vigdor said. “Freshmen especially. And if this can better equip us to successfully do that job, then I’m all for it.”

Vigdor said that the resolution’s success will depend on how well Greek officers publicize the initiative.

Alpha Phi sorority president Courtney Wong ’15 said that over the summer, members of the organization who were on campus completed the training, and it was “well-received.”

“This is definitely a step in the right direction to promoting a more positive culture,” Wong said.

Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity president Zach Queen ’15 said the Assembly’s policy is a good start, but DBI training cannot completely address the issue of sexual assault. Harsher punishments, he said, will have a more meaningful impact.

Sixteen students approached about the recent initiative declined to comment based on lack of prior knowledge about the topic.

Student Assembly president Adrian Ferrari ’14 said the Assembly has not yet advertised the initiative. The resolution cannot move forward until the UFC, which deliberated the initiative Monday, approves it. If the UFC passes the resolution, the Assembly will begin reaching out to Greek leaders.

Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity member Troup Wood ’14 said he would participate in the six-hour program, even though his house has already facilitated similar programs, like those conducted by Mentors Against Violence.

Jan Ketterson ’17 said he likes that the initiative addresses both sexual assault and socioeconomic class, but he is not sure how willing Greek house members will be to dedicate six hours to training.

IFC president Wil Chockley ’15 declined to comment because of the early state of his presidency. Panhell president Rachel Funk ’15 did not respond to a request for comment.

Presidents of Alpha Chi Alpha, Phi Delta Alpha, Psi Upsilon and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternities and of Kappa Delta, Kappa Delta Epsilon, Kappa Kappa Gamma and Sigma Delta sororities did not respond to requests for comment. The presidents of Zeta Psi and Sigma Nu fraternities and the president of Alpha Xi Delta sorority declined to comment because they are members of The Dartmouth senior staff.

Presidents of Alpha Phi Alpha and Bones Gate fraternities and Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority declined to comment. The president of Sigma Phi Epsilon declined to comment because he is affiliated with the UFC.