Rec League Legends

Loyal readers, welcome back to the greatest show on earth. It’s a new term and for many of you, that probably means a new, fresh start. You probably vowed to really change things around this term, probably because mom and dad saw your grades and were a little disappointed because they “pay enough for a nice house or an entire city block in Detroit” for you to go here. We get it.

You probably told yourself that you wouldn’t go out five nights a week, you would do your reading for your classes and only use the “Greenprint doesn’t really work and my blitz also failed” excuse once per class at most. You are probably going to eat right and go to Alumni Gym at least three times a week.

Well, we didn’t waste our time with any of those resolutions for two reasons. First, it’s cold and FoCo is closer than Alumni Gym. Second, in the words of one of our personal heroes, we aren’t trying to be the kings of exercise. It’s all about the Almighty W. What else is there?

And 2014 is the year to do it, especially against all odds. Those of you who have turned on ESPN’s “SportsCenter” or picked up a newspaper in the last six days know that 2014 is officially the year of the upset.

On New Year’s Day, Central Florida came out of left field and punished what should have been a dominant Baylor team in the Fiesta Bowl.

Manchester United fell out of contention for the FA Cup with a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Swansea City in the third round.

Roger Federer dropped the Brisbane International tournament right before the Australian Open to hometown hero Lleyton Hewitt.

And on the second day of the year, Oklahoma stuck it to Nick Saban and Alabama (though we will admit that despite the loss on the field, there is some argument to be made that AJ McCarron is still dating Katherine Webb and can’t really lose.)

And of course, the biggest upset of the year, the return of The Dartmouth’s most-read column ( at least by our parents): The Rec League Legends.

That’s right, super fans, we retooled, regunned and, most importantly, relaxed with the diligence and tenacity that you have come to know and expect from us over break. While our moms did our laundry, cooked for us and acted as our designated drivers when we went out with our high school buddies, we had free time to think about the important things in our lives — and, or course, this column. We’re back and better than ever.

Now we are not going to be those seniors who get all nostalgic about this being our last winter in Hanover for the foreseeable future (fingers crossed, mom and dad). But as Rec League Legends, you better believe that we will get out there and enjoy this winter. Expect skiing (alpine, not cross-country, because that is a commitment all its own), snow shoeing and other snow-related activities that we don’t know of because we are from below the Mason-Dixon line. Most importantly, fans, this term, we will step onto the ice sheet at Thompson Arena and play the greatest game ever created by your deity of choice: hockey.

It’s going to be a huge term, loyal readers. There will be blood, sweat and tears. Just kidding, not tears. Legends never cry. Except for once, but “Marley and Me” (2008) is sad and it was totally acceptable then. Whatever. We’re going to win. We promise. Stay tuned.