PB, Collis host fall concert

Music duo Timeflies and DJ and producer Kap Slap will perform on Gold Coast Lawn at the first ever Fall Fling on Sept. 28.

The schedule starts with a barbecue and carnival at 5 p.m. outside Alumni Gym and continues with the this year's first home football game against Holy Cross at 7 p.m. Kap Slap and Timeflies, the main attractions, will perform on Gold Coast Lawn at 9 p.m. The evening concludes with a dance party held in Collis Common Ground from 11:30 p.m. to 2 a.m.

This year's Fall Fling is funded by an anonymous donor, Programming Board executive director Caroline Steffen '14 said. Event organizers declined to give the amount.

Both acts are "up-and-coming" but enjoyable regardless of previous exposure to specific songs, Steffen said. Founded in 2010, Timeflies is a music duo that incorporates elements from pop, hip-hop, dance and electronic music. Kap Slap is known for his music mashups and bootlegs.

Many students have already expressed excitement for the event.

"There are a lot of students who came by at the activity fair with super bright eyes and huge smiles really excited for Timeflies to come," Steffen said. "I think when you are able to grab an artist that is on the rise rather than older or someone everyone already knows, it is a really exciting opportunity to be able to bring that to campus."

Tiantian Zhang '16, who began listening to Timeflies' music over the weekend, said the artist tends to mix popular songs.

"After listening to them, I'm excited they're coming to Dartmouth," Zhang said. "From their videos on YouTube, they look like they can put on a good show. It will be a great way to start off the year."

Programming Board incorporated the first home football game into the Fall Fling schedule to foster school spirit, said Jose Vazquez, Collis Center assistant director and Programming Board's advisor.

In addition to performing on Gold Coast Lawn, Kap Slap will DJ the dance party, coordinated by Collis After Dark. The group hopes to transform Collis Common Ground into a dance space using lights and other decorations, Collis Center assistant director David Pack said.

Programming Board initially intended to hold a small-scale event to welcome both the incoming class and returning students, but the anonymous donation provided the means to plan a larger event.

"[Programming Board] wanted to have more of a bigger carnival style event that would have had an artist as well, but we were planning for more of a small entertainer for back up music at that event," Steffen said. "We ended up getting really lucky with the donation and that skewed the event more toward a large concert."

Planning for a welcome event had been in the works since spring, and the donation was given in mid-summer. Despite the tight time frame, Programming Board succeeded in booking two of its top choices, Steffen said.

Programming Board, however, faced challenges since some artists had already completed their summer tours or have gone on to continue their tours in Europe, Vazquez said.

The rain location for the concert will be in Leede Arena. The festivities are co-sponsored by Programming Board, Collis After Dark and the Collis Center.