Men's and women's rugby dominate opponents

Both the men's and women's rugby teams stayed undefeated in their early fall seasons with dominating wins over Brown University and Harvard University. The men defeated the Bears (1-2) 50-0 to move to 3-0 on the year while the women beat the Crimson 10-5. Both games were played at home on Brophy Field.

The Big Green men jumped out to an early lead against the Bears and never looked back. Captain Madison Hughes '15 scored the first try of the game just four minutes in and converted to give the home team a 7-0 lead. John Descalzi '14, Dawit Workie '17 and Hughes worked the ball back and forth before Hughes beat a defender and dove across the try line.

Colin Walmsley '15 was the next try for the Big Green 12 minutes later. Hughes converted the try for his seventh of 20 first half points, and Walmsley scored in the final minute of the first half, both times turning defense into offense, picking off a Brown pass and running it all the way for the try.

"Intercepts are one of the rewards of the aggressive defense we've been playing this season," he said. "We were working together really well today and put them under a lot of pressure. It's nice to see our team strategy working like that."

Pat Flynn '13 scored a try in the 21st minute. During the stoppage time at the end of the first half, Hughes converted his second try of the afternoon with a kick to give the home team a 35-0 lead at the half.

With the game in hand, the Big Green men let their reserves get some time on the field. The team added three tries, but could not convert them to end with a 50-0 win. Rex Littlefield '14, Workie and Tyler Moragne '14 all scored in the half. Workie caught a beautifully placed kick from Hughes in stride and ran into the try zone.

"Each week we set ourselves goals and work to achieve them," head coach Gavin Hickie said. "This week against Brown I think we turned the corner. Our defense and discipline was good against a physical Brown team, which was very pleasing."

On the season, the men's team has outscored its opponents 176-18 and has not given up a point in its last 160 minutes. The team defeated Yale University 91-0 on Sept. 21.

"We still have plenty of work-ons as a team, but I feel we are really starting to buy into the system," Hickie said. "As a coach, I am very satisfied with where we are right now."

The Big Green men take on Harvard University, the only team to score on them this season, next Saturday in Cambridge, Mass.

The women's rugby team moved to 2-0 on the season with a 10-5 win over Harvard. Despite dominating the game statistically and in time of possession, the women could not convert on many of their opportunities and left points on the field.

"We were knocking on the door for most of the game," captain Pallavi Kuppa-Apte '14 said. "We spent most of the game in their defensive zone really close to their try line, so we just need to capitalize on the opportunities and score when we have the chance."

The team was without starting inside center Charlotte Knott '15, who could not play due to an injury. While the injury impacted the Big Green's back line and passing, they were able to overcome it for the win.

"We're very lucky this year with the players we have," Kuppa-Apte said. "Our brand new players are picking up the sport quickly and our older players have had experience in multiple positions. We've been moving people around to different positions. While Charlotte's injury hurt, we have a bunch of people who can play any position at the drop of a hat."

The team's inability to score tries when close to the goal almost came back to bite them, as the Crimson tried desperately to tie the game in the waning moments. The Big Green women held off the surge and walked away from the game victorious.

The team stays at home to face Princeton University next weekend.

"We're hoping to shut down Princeton's big offensive players and dominate play like we did against Harvard," Kuppa-Apte said. "Our set pieces were good against Harvard, we just need to focus on finishing."