Field hockey team splits season opener

East Coast met West Coast last weekend as the field hockey team headed to Berkeley, Calif., to open its season. The Big Green (1-1, 0-0 Ivy) first fell to the University of California, Berkeley before rallying to a narrow win against the University of California, Davis.

On Sept. 6, Dartmouth fell to Cal (3-1, 0-0 Pac-12) 4-2, losing its first opener since 2009. The game began strong, as Olivia Quaglia '14 scored just 10 minutes into the first half, assisted by Rebecca Hu '15 and Ali Savage '15.

The Big Green then entered a long scoring drought, during which the Golden Bears put four consecutive goals in the net. With 10 minutes left in the game, Maggie Scanlon '14 scored from six yards out, bringing the deficit to 4-2. Efforts on the goal were thwarted by Cal junior and goalie Courtney Hendrickson, who made eight saves on in the game.

"We need to keep working on playing for 70 minutes and not letting ourselves get stuck in lulls," Scanlon said.

Head coach Amy Fowler said the game was balanced on paper, with the Big Green outshooting Cal 13-9. Most of those scoring chances, however, were expertly defended.

"We had some defensive letdowns and we weren't getting pressure on the shots that they were taking," Fowler said.

The weekend momentum shifted on Sunday in the first-ever matchup between UC Davis (1-2, 0-0 NorPac) and Dartmouth, as the Big Green women defeated the Aggies 4-3.

Half an hour in, Savage scored the first goal off of assists from Janine Leger '15 and Tabby Sabky '16. Just 15 minutes later, Savage scored her second goal of the game, again assisted by Leger. The Aggies responded with a goal into the left side of the net.

Jessica Barfield '16 made her scoring debut as she notched Dartmouth's third goal 53 minutes into the game.

Ten minutes later, Savage scored again, completing her first career hat trick and bringing the score to 4-1. Leger set Savage up once again for her third assist of the game.

"It ultimately meant a win for the team," Savage said. "We all stepped out with a higher intensity and drive than our first game and it really showed on the scoreboard."

But the Aggies were not done, mounting a furious comeback and scoring twice in the final minutes. The Big Green held on for the win, despite an extra attacker and flurry of shots for UC Davis.

The Big Green will face No. 15 Northeastern University in Boston this Friday before going up against last year's national champion No. 3 Princeton University at home on Sept. 21.

The team hopes to clean up its play in the attacking and defensive circles, and improve communication.

"We need to make sure everyone is communicating and accountable for their role in that particular moment, whether it is to mark someone or get out and pressure the ball," Fowler said

Though the game against the highly-ranked Northeastern team will be a challenge, the tougher match will be their Ivy League opener against the Tigers.

"We go in as an underdog," Fowler said. "I think if we're able to be disciplined and we're able to follow a game plan, then we can compete with Princeton."