Five students named valedictorians, two named salutatorians

Courtesy of The FW
Courtesy of The FW

Vero Lecocq '13, of Longmont, Colo., and Anuj Gupta '13, from Easton, Conn., were named salutatorians. Each had a 3.99 GPA.

The five graduating seniors emphasized building meaningful relationships with professors and maintaining a balanced lifestyle outside the classroom. Most had never pulled an all-nighter in their time on campus.

Farley, of Darien, Conn., studied history, focusing on medieval and early Europe.

She worked in Smart Women Securities and the Dartmouth Society of Economics and Investment, which sparked an interest in finance and led to her position at Black Rock, where she will work as a full time credit research analyst next year. Farley is a member of Alpha Xi Delta sorority, where she said she found a social outlet and rewarding philanthropic work.

She cited history professors Walter Simons and David Lagomarsino as some of her biggest influences.

"Finding professors that you work well with really inspires enthusiasm for the subject and really motivates you to put that time in," she said. "I encourage people to explore classes and find subjects that they deeply care about and really want to pursue."

Kornberg, from Jericho, N.Y., studied government, specifically constitutional law and international relations. He will work as an investment associate at Bridgewater Associates next year.

Kornberg worked as a columnist for The Dartmouth and as an RWIT writing tutor, and he founded the Dartmouth History Journal. A member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, Kornberg played recreational squash and researched throughout his time at Dartmouth.

Government professors William Wohlforth, Sonu Bedi and Benjamin Valentino impacted Kornberg's undergraduate career, he said. He came to school unsure of his major, and Valentino's introductory government class sparked his interest in international relations.

Having the support of good friends was key for Kornberg, he said. He noted his luck in achieving this honor.

"There were a number of times I got straight up lucky with grades," he said.

Malkin, from Scottsdale, Ariz., studied linguistics and classical languages and literatures. He received citations in nine courses and studied abroad in Germany and New Zealand.

Malkin rowed lightweight crew during his first two years and worked as a mentor in Thetford. One of his main interests is hiking, something he did growing up and throughout his time at Dartmouth during breaks. He will remain in Hanover this summer to climb in the area, something he wishes he had had more time to do as a student, he said.

Classics professor Hakan Tell, whom Malkin called a motivating teacher and a mentor, inspired Malkin with his enthusiasm and love for academia, Malkin said.

Taking classes outside of his interests forced him to learn to love things beyond his comfort zone. He called this a key to his success at the College.

Malkin will enroll in the Basic School in Virginia next year in preparation for the U.S. Marine Corps.

"I want to give back to the country in a tangible way, and the military is an avenue of service that appeals to me," he said.

Morenz, of Tucson, Ariz., modified her anthropology major with Spanish and studied chemistry at the College.

Outside of creative writing and cooking, Morenz dedicated herself to environmental sustainability. She traveled on the Big Green Bus last year and served as a sustainability and arts intern.

"Being involved in a lot of sustainability things has greatly enriched my academic involvement," she said. "It allowed me to reflect in my classes from my real-world experiences on the Big Green Bus."

She is involved in rock climbing and the Dartmouth Outing Club, which serve as outlets for the intensity of academics.

"Spending a day outside and off campus gave a great break from classes and allowed for relaxation with friends," she said.

Morenz will work in New York City as a foster care case worker next year.

Romani, who hails from Sudbury, Ontario, studied biology and pre-health, but later discovered an interest in health law politics and bioethics while taking a TSA distribution requirement. She will attend Yale Law School next year.

A member of Alpha Phi sorority, Romani worked with autistic children through ASPIRE and served as a co-chair this year. The balance between extracurricular interests and social commitments is crucial to success, Romani said.

"Every Friday afternoon, at the end of the week, I took some time off and went to work with ASPIRE," she said.

Romani conducted research as a presidential scholar in her sophomore and junior years and as an intern through the Women in Science Project.

Religion professor Ronald Green and Geisel School of Medicine professor Patricia Pioli served as Romani's mentors.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: June 8, 2013

**The previous version of this article misspelled salutatorian Anuj Gupta '13's last name. It is Gupta, not Grupta.*