Classmates remember Scott during Commencement events

On Sunday, when members of the Class of 2013 walk across the Green to accept their diplomas, some will wear special pins on their robes to commemorate Crispin Scott '13.

Scott, a Seattle native, died in Barcelona on a transfer program last year. He was 20.

Friend and teammate Simon Greenberg '13 said Scott will be on everyone's mind on Graduation day.

"It's going to be a little weird," Greenberg said. "As a class, we have to figure out how to best remember such a happy, generous individual."

A member of Phi Delta Alpha fraternity and the rugby team, Scott was found dead in a Barcelona apartment while on a Portland State University study abroad program. Early autopsy results indicated that he died of a barbiturate overdose, and Spanish police later arrested Oscar Vicente Castro Cedeno, a 41-year-old from Ecuador, on homicide charges.

Scott was known for his ability to make the best out of every situation, turning "rainy days into mud sliding competitions," Greenberg said. A computer science and math double-major, Scott would regularly help his friends with problem sets.

He was an extrovert who made those around him feel comfortable by breaking tension with humor, Greenberg said.

Since Scott's death, many of his friends, teammates and fraternity brothers have strived to memorialize his life, Phi Delt president Mark Andriola '14 said. Phi Delt held a memorial service in Scott's honor last spring and honored him again during Phi Delt's senior week dinner.

Members dedicated a room in the fraternity, adorned with a picture of Scott and a plaque, to his memory, and a committee is creating an in-house scholarship in Scott's name. Though the scholarship is not yet finalized, its annual recipient may include fraternity members who play rugby or study computer science.

A memorial fund is being created through the Deans Office and in coordination with Scott's parents.

The Senior Class Gift allowed students to donate in Scott's name. Twenty-three class members honored Scott in their donation, according to Jeff Hafner '02, managing director for individual and class giving at the Dartmouth College Fund.

"Our class cared a lot about Crispin and they care a lot about him still," Andriola said. "He's on our minds all the time."

Elizabeth Reynolds '13, who met Scott in eighth grade at University Preparatory Academy, said it was a joy to watch Scott transition from a shy teenager, wearing skater shoes and listening to Death Cab for Cutie and Green Day, to a "fun-loving, mature, selfless and genuine man."

Reynolds called Scott the "perfect friend" because he went out of his way to help others.

"It is hard knowing that we have lost someone who thought so much about the world beyond himself," she said.

Scott was always up for an adventure, and he lived life fully, teammate and Phi Delt member Quinn Connell '13 said. Between rugby tournaments and classwork, Scott would help his friends and classmates in a heartbeat.

"What I take away from the experience is that our time could come at any point," Connell said. "I try to live my life without regrets as Crispin did."

On campus, Scott's name often comes up in conversation, and stories of him are recounted as if he were still alive, Andriola said.

Reynolds said it is difficult not to think about Scott's potential if he were still alive, including everything he would have contributed to the Dartmouth community and the world.

"It definitely seems strange to be reaching this major milestone of graduation without Crispin," she said. "He should be here walking with us. He is sorely missed."