Ivy League wraps up spring season

Spring teams have wrapped up their regular seasons, with most moving into the post-season or finishing completely. The Ancient Eight took home numerous honors and saw varied success across the board.

MEN'S LACROSSE

The Ivy League men's lacrosse teams saw an exciting season, and with four ranked in the top 20, they have also been very competitive nationally. Yale University captured the league title with a 12-8 victory over Princeton University and secured a bid to the NCAA tournament along with Cornell University, the top seed. Both teams managed to come out victorious in the first round, with Yale rallying from a 5-1 halftime deficit to defeat Pennsylvania State University 10-7 and Cornell taking down traditional power the University of Maryland 16-8. The quarterfinals are the 18 and 19, where Yale will face Syracuse University and Cornell will play Ohio State University. Cornell's Rob Pannell and Princeton's Tom Schreiber were named among the five finalists for the Tewaarton Trophy.

WOMEN'S LACROSSE

Three teams from the Ancient Eight received bids to the NCAA women's lacrosse tournament. The University of Pennsylvania, the Ivy championships, secured the league's automatic bid, while Dartmouth and Princeton received at-large bids. The Big Green had the most success out of the three teams, falling to Syracuse University 21-8 in the second round after defeating Boston College 11-8. Dartmouth continued its dominance over the Eagles, improving to 19-0 in history. The Quakers fell in the first round to the University of Virginia 12-6, while the Tigers fell to Duke University in a dramatic double-overtime contest, 10-9.

BASEBALL

After sweeping Dartmouth in the Ivy championship series, Columbia secured the Ivy title and obtained an automatic bid into the upcoming NCAA tournament. The selection show for the regional portion is set for May 27. The all-Ivy awards were announced this week, with Princeton junior Mike Ford becoming the first player to take home both the player and pitcher of the year awards in the same season. Dartmouth's Joe Purritiano '16 was selected as the Ivy League rookie of the year, the first Big Green player to earn this distinction since 2010.

SOFTBALL

Penn captured the Ivy League's automatic bid to the NCAA regional with a three-game victory over Dartmouth in the Ivy League championship series. The Quakers, making their first appearance in the tournament, are set to take the field against Texas A&M University on Friday, 16th in the 64-team tournament. The Ivy League announced its end of the season softball awards, honoring the Big Green's Kristen Rumley '15 and Katie McEachern '16 as the pitcher and rookie of the year.

MEN'S TENNIS

After winning the Ivy League, the Harvard University men's tennis team made it to the second round of the NCAA tournament. The Crimson swept Samford University 4-0 in the first round before falling to No. 10 Mississippi State University in the second round. The League received four Intercollegiate Tennis Association honors, with Dartmouth's Xander Centenari '13 receiving the Arthur Ashe leadership and sportsmanship award.

WOMEN'S TENNIS

Ivy League champion Yale suffered a tough 4-3 defeat to the Georgia Institute of Technology in the first round of the NCAA women's tennis tournament. Despite getting off to a 2-0 lead, the Bulldogs were unable to finish off the higher-seeded Yellow Jackets in the doubles point. The League also sent two singles players, Princeton senior Matija Pecotic and Columbia senior Nicole Bartnik, as well as the Columbia doubles team of junior Bianca Sanon and freshman Kanika Vaidya, to the NCAA tennis championships.