Greenways to attract alumnae to Hanover

This weekend, the Alumni Office and the President's Office will mark the 40th anniversary of coeducation at Dartmouth with panel discussions and keynote speeches by comedian and author Rachel Dratch '88 and president of the Women's National Basketball Association Laurel Richie '81. Greenways will showcase the talent and accomplishments of Dartmouth's female alumnae and foster dialogue and mentorships with students, vice president for alumni relations Martha Beattie '76 said.

Over 500 alumni, not including family and friends, have registered to attend the weekend's programmed events, Beattie said.

"Especially this year with the transition from President [Jim Yong] Kim to President [Carol] Folt and the milestones of 40 years of Native American studies and 40 years of the Black Alumni of Dartmouth Association, there is a really powerful confluence of progress being made at Dartmouth," Beattie said. "Coeducation was a momentous decision to serve the other half of the world."

The Greenways celebration includes an opening reception on Friday evening, 17 panel on Saturday, a breakfast address by Richie and a luncheon discussion with Dratch. Saturday's events will culminate in an address by Folt and a screening of "Makers," a documentary film about American female leaders produced by Pamela Wagner '81.

Planning began two years ago, before Beattie assumed her role as vice president in May 2011. Beattie traveled with other members of the alumni relations staff to gather feedback about the kind of events they would like at the 40th anniversary of coeducation.

The weekend's open events reflects alumni wishes to form closer connections with Dartmouth students, and the panel discussions are less focused on coeducation's history than in previous celebrations at the College, Beattie said.

"The events are a wonderful blend, celebrating inclusivity of Dartmouth today and sharing information and advice that has universal appeal," Beattie said. "Some events are tailored to alumni reconnection, but hopefully there will be natural connections being made between alumni and students as well."

Susan Dentzer '77, editor-in-chief of the Journal of Health Affairs and former chair of the Board of Trustees, said Greenways is "a celebration of the achievements of those that have gone through the College, taught at the College or who are at the College now."

She said the predicted high attendance rate spoke to alumnae enthusiasm for the event.

"Especially as a woman in the second coeducated class at the College and as a member of the Board for 11 years, I have a long and deep connection with the College," Dentzer said. "I've been at almost every celebration of coeducation since it went into effect I think events like these are very meaningful."

Dentzer will speak on a panel called "Telling Our Story," along with Geeta Anand '89, a senior writer at The Wall Street Journal and author of the novel "The Cure."

Anand said that Dartmouth was a "very different place" when she attended, with a 60 percent male student body and frequent allegations of rape and drug and alcohol abuse.

"Dartmouth was still a challenging place for women in my time on campus," Anand said. "I'm really interested to come back and hear about the challenges that women are facing now, to be a part of the dialogue reflecting on where we are today."

Julia Geer '75 Th'83 said she looks forward to meeting up with classmates and alumnae from other class years, which does not typically take place at reunion events. She will speak on a panel called "The Road Less Traveled" about non-conventional careers beyond Dartmouth and sharing her career experience, which combines nonprofit work, sustainability and her love for rowing.

Geer was the first women's rowing captain at Dartmouth and competed on three Olympic teams.

"I think [Greenways] is going to be a really great representation of the College's history and of women doing really interesting things," Geer said. "Women's breakfasts at reunions weekends have usually been a highlight for me, and this is so much more than that."

Leslie Bradford '77 said she was "really determined" to attend Greenways after missing the 35th anniversary of coeducation. She is particularly looking forward to panels like "Beyond the Glass Ceiling," which includes her classmate, Diana Taylor '77, who is the managing director at Wolfensohn and Company and a College trustee.

Dartmouth's ability to adapt and prosper amid tremendous change speaks to its vitality as an institution, Bradford said.

"Coeducation changed the course of the College but it changed us as well," she said. "The atmosphere was challenging and rigorous for the first women, but taught us so much about ourselves and how we define success, even though it could be alienating at times."

Bradford attended one of the regional planning sessions for Greenways run by Beattie and the Alumni Relations Office and said the idea to foster discussions and relationships with current students received "unanimous enthusiasm." She hopes the weekend will evolve into a more systematic mentorship structure in the future.

Joan Marable '76, who also attended a regional planning session, said she was disappointed that the weekend did not include a scheduled time for networking with young alumni and students. While mentorship could give students career insights and job opportunities, Marable said additional events could also help women on campus feel an openness to speak about their experiences with someone who has already spent four years at Dartmouth.

"It's disturbing to still read about the assaults on women on campus which are not that different from the '70s," Marable said. "Students need to know they're not the first ones going through experiences, good or bad, and that communication could help."

Anand recalled protesting the lyrics of the Dartmouth alma mater in her time on campus, which officially changed to include "the daughters of Dartmouth" during her junior year.

"Seeing that the song could change, that the school could become fully 50 percent female, it's exciting that things can change in a single lifetime," Anand said. "Coming back, I'm excited to be a part of that dialogue again."