Dartmouth admits 10 percent of applicants to the Class of 2017

The College admitted 2,252 applicants to the Class of 2017, roughly 10 percent of the 22,400 students who applied, according to an email from Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Maria Laskaris. This figure marks a slight increase from the 9.4 percent admissions rate last year.

The number of accepted applicants marks a noticeable increase from that of previous years. For the Class of 2016 and the Class of 2015, 2,180 applicants and 2,178 applicants were accepted, respectively. In a previous interview with The Dartmouth, Laskaris said the College aimed to admit approximately 2,150 students.

All other Ivy League schools, which also released admissions decisions Thursday, reported a lower acceptance rate from the previous year, The New York Times reported. Dartmouth, the only Ivy to see an increase in acceptance rate, has the third highest rate in the Ivy League, below Cornell's 15.2 percent and University of Pennsylvania's 12.1 percent.

The mean SAT score of accepted students was 2219 737 in critical reading, 741 in math and 741 in writing one point higher than the mean score of 2218 for students in the Class of 2016. Roughly 95 percent of admitted students ranked in the top decile of their graduating class and 40 percent are valedictorians.

Approximately 48 percent of those accepted are Asian-American, African-American, Native American, Latino and multiracial students, marking an increase from last year's 44 percent.

Students were notified their application decision 5 p.m. on Thursday afternoon.