Daily Debriefing

The abundance of hats in Dr. Seuss' books is no coincidence, as Theodore Geisel loved unusual and distinctive hats and owned a collection numbered in the hundreds, The New York Times reported. Random House Children's Books and Dr. Seuss Enterprises are collaborating on an exhibit at the New York Public Library to showcase Geisel's hat collection, which opened on Feb. 6 and coincides with the 75th anniversary of Seuss' book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins." The hats brought personality and humor to Seuss' characters just as they did activities in his everyday life, curator of the hat exhibit Robert Chase said. Guests at the Geisel home were occasionally required to don the most outrageous hats for dinner parties as well, according to the article.

Cornell University's Student Assembly passed a resolution last Thursday calling for the university to divest its endowment from fossil fuel by the end of 2020, The Cornell Daily Sun reported. The resolution also stipulated that Cornell invest 30 percent of the divested money in improved sustainability initiatives. Students from the climate justice organization Kyoto Now began advocating for the policy change about a year ago. The resolution puts pressure on Cornell's administration to take its commitment to improving sustainability more seriously. Some members of the Student Assembly anticipate opposition from the Board of Trustees and administrators, while others fear that there may be negative economic consequences of divestment, The Cornell Daily Sun reported.

An online course offered through a partnership between the University of Pennsylvania and Coursera may soon become the first online class in the country that can be taken for credit, The Daily Pennsylvanian reported. The American Council on Education recommended that students taking a Penn single variable calculus course through Coursera may receive university credit. Colleges and universities, including Penn, will decide individually if they will award credit for online courses. On Feb. 7, Penn administrators made clear that the university would not earn Penn credit for the Coursera calculus course. The council's recommendation has sparked discussion about the changes Coursera has catalyzed since its inception only 10 months ago.

Compiled by Lily Fagin