Daily Debriefing

This fall, English professor Ivy Schweitzer has brought together Dartmouth undergraduates and high school students from Ledyard Charter School, an alternative public high school, in an experimental English class, Dartmouth Now reported. This community-based learning course on American poetry meets at the high school on Tuesdays and at Dartmouth on Thursdays. Each week, students from both schools interact through a variety of activities, allowing the high school students to experience college life and Dartmouth students to learn more about the Upper Valley community. Students from both schools have teamed up to research poems for the class' final project, through which they will learn about a particular poem's context and present a recitation of the poetry they choose to analyze and original poetry, Dartmouth Now reported.

The "holistic system" of admissions introduced at the University of California, Los Angeles may simply represent a mechanism to increase black student acceptance and enrollment based on race, according to a report authored by UCLA law professor Richard Sander. Sander, whose allegations sparked a student protest, claims that the system violates California laws prohibiting racial preferences in public schools, Inside Higher Ed reported. UCLA first initiated the policy in 2006, which considers applicants' socioeconomic background, life challenges and personal qualities. Since then, black student enrollment has doubled while Hispanic acceptance numbers remain unchanged, Sander said in the report. The administration denied the allegations, and some students have criticized Sander for "questioning the right of minority students to be at UCLA," Inside Higher Ed reported.

Following structural damage and power outages caused by Hurricane Sandy on Monday, many college campuses on the East Coast remain closed, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. Schools in Manhattan and Long Island were particularly affected, and the campuses of schools like New York University will remain closed for at least a week due to limited transportation. Many New Jersey universities are closed for the week in order to host evacuees of the storm, with Rutgers University offering refuge to 800 individuals from surrounding areas. Additionally, several schools south of New Jersey have closed as a result of heavy blizzards bringing up to two feet of snow. Appalachian State University in North Carolina and several West Virginia campuses shut down to prevent the need to drive in snowy conditions and high winds, according to The Chronicle.