Beyond the Bubble: A Look at Pop Art

This fall, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City is home to a new exhibition, "Regarding Warhol: 60 Artists, 50 Years." This exhibition celebrates Andy Warhol's eminence and innovation as a pop artist, as well as the effect his work has had on subsequent artists.

The first section of the exhibition, "Daily News: From Banality to Disaster," explores Warhol's fascination with everyday life. Prints such as "Green Coca-Cola Bottles" show Warhol's interest in American consumerism and modes of advertisement prominent during the 1960s.

"Portraiture: Celebrity and Power" focuses on Warhol's preoccupation with issues of fame and infamy as presented in the media, while "Queer Studies: Shifting Identities" highlights Warhol's significance as a pioneer artist in his representation of controversial themes such as sexuality and gender during the post-war period.

The fourth section, named "Consuming Images: Appropriation, Abstraction and Seriality," examines Warhol's appropriation of art history and his interest in abstraction. It also showcases his predilection for integrating pre-existing photographic sources into his work, often repeated in grid patterns. "No Boundaries: Business, Collaboration and Spectacle" explores Warhol's desire to create visual environments that envelop the viewer entirely. It emphasizes his frequent use of decorative motifs, such as flowers.

"Regarding Warhol" closes on Dec. 31, leaving Dartmouth students plenty of time to go see it over winter break.