July 27, 2024 | Latest Issue

Homecoming weekend stays relatively quiet

10.29.12.news.homecoming wrapup
10.29.12.news.homecoming wrapup

The number of incidents that occurred during the bonfire and at activities later in the evening was also low compared to past years, which may be due to increased efforts to promote moderation, Kinne said. Though he said that Safety and Security responded to over 100 specific incidents, most of these were routine calls in response to fire alarms and injuries.

"Friday night was pretty quiet, actually surprisingly quiet," he said. "It's probably one of the years with the fewest amount of incidents at the bonfire."

Two students received medical attention during the freshman sweep, according to Kinne. One female member of the Class of 2016 was taken to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center after she tripped and broke her ankle. She was not intoxicated, but an additional member of the Class of 2016 received medical attention after he was found to be intoxicated during the sweep.

After the remaining members of the Class of 2016 arrived at the Green and began the bonfire festivities, two students attempted to touch the fire. One student was successful, and both were arrested, according to Kinne. An upperclassman student was also arrested for intoxication at the bonfire.

In the second medical incident of the night, a student was found passed out on the Green and was given necessary care, Kinne said. The student was not intoxicated.

Later in the evening, three students were taken to Dick's House for intoxication and two were sent to DHMC, though both were later returned to Dick's House.

Saturday afternoon and evening saw more activity. Although many students rushed the field without consequence, two were arrested after attempting to disrupt the Harvard University marching band, Kinne said.

One of these two students was arrested for disorderly conduct, while the other was arrested for both disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

That night, three students were taken to Dick's House for intoxication and one was sent to DHMC. Two additional incidents involved alumni visiting Dartmouth for the weekend.

"One alumnus was very intoxicated and arguing with other alumni," Kinne said. Kinne said that Hanover Police responded to the incident, which occurred on Tuck Drive, but did not arrest any of the visiting alumni. One male student called Safety and Security on Saturday night after he discovered that two alumni, a male and a female, had entered his room and locked him out of it. The female alumna was found to be highly intoxicated and was sent to DHMC, while the male alumnus was sent home with a friend, Kinne said.

No incidents of sexual assault were reported to Safety and Security over the weekend, according to Kinne.

"Overall, as far as a Homecoming weekend, it was on the low side for activity," he said. "We're pleased with the way the weekend went we just wish we'd beat Harvard at the game."