Daily Debriefing

The Norris Cotton Cancer Center at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center will start a new campaign this month using lemons to teach women about breast health, according to a DHMC press release. Posters and pamphlets depict a dozen lemons in an egg carton, each digitally enhanced to show possible signs of breast cancer. Because early breast cancer detection is correlated with a high survival rate, the campaign aims to demonstrate the importance of breast health monitoring to women of all education and income levels, according to the DHMC press release.

Grinnell College, which has the fifth largest endowment of all liberal arts colleges, announced Thursday that it would consider changing its financial aid policies, including its need-blind admissions policy, Inside Higher Ed reported. Despite the strength of its endowment, declining rates of endowment growth and increasing demand for student aid make its current financial policies unsustainable. While full rejection of the need-blind policy is unlikely, Grinnell may become more need-aware for international and waitlisted students. Grinnell's announcement followed a similar announcement by Wesleyan University earlier this summer. Public announcement of potential changes to financial aid policies by both universities are intended to promote greater administrative transparency. The Grinnell Board of Trustees will vote on a finalized financial aid policy in February, according to Inside Higher Ed.

Following a Title IX complaint against its athletics department, Merrimack College will create six new women's sports teams, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education. The creation of new athletic teams will increase the number of positions for women on athletic teams by 80, making the number of female athletes more proportional to the number of female undergraduates. Merrimack will also extend additional financial aid to female athletes per the settlement announced by the U.S. Education Department's Office for Civil Rights. Merrimack's settlement follows similar athletic settlements at Yale University, Ball State University and Lincoln Land Community College and reflects greater compliance with the gender-equity law, The Chronicle reported.