June 17, 2024 | Latest Issue

Walking a Fine Line: College Parking Horror Stories

My driving test is something that still haunts me. I hit the car behind me during the parallel parking section. Because of this embarrassing and traumatic event, I still feel uneasy parallel parking. I guess it's fitting that I go to a school where I never have to park because driving is, for the most part, unnecessary.

Unlike large public schools, few students use cars to get to class. At most, you may find yourself taking a 15-minute leisurely stroll from the Hop to the Life Sciences Center, but there are some people on campus who believe that a car is a necessity. They argue that a 15-minute walk becomes hell on earth when conditions outside are sub-zero with wind chill and sleet. They might say that 10 minutes isn't enough time to walk between classes. Moreover, they laud the benefit of being able to visit the crown jewels of the Upper Valley: the original KAF in Norwich, Simon Pearce and Fort Lou's. Regardless, these proud and few car owners (the majority being New Englanders and '12s) pay a heavy price to enjoy the delights of an automobile. Car owners here must deal with the burden of a difficult if not menacing parking situation on campus.

Under its current policy, the College requires all cars to be registered. Student parking is generally limited to the A-Lot parking complex, and more centralized parking options run by the College near dorms and the library are not open to students. Some Greek houses offer paid spots for students. Violations of parking rules can result in a $10 ticket from the town of Hanover or a hefty $50 ticket from Safety and Security.

"I won't deny that I'm a hardcore parking delinquent," Cassandra Siegel '12 said. Siegel said she has become notorious among her friends for her unorthodox parking habits, which have resulted in a self-estimated count of over 60 College tickets and Hanover tickets in the "triple digits."

"If you look at my car, there are tickets everywhere," she said. "On the floor, on the window, there's stacks under my seats I've just stopped caring about it."

Siegel explained that she has received the majority of her tickets when she runs quick errands and neglects to pay meters or "creates parking spots" in areas where parking is nearly impossible, such as by Wilder and the library. She added that she pays all her tickets, but the possibility of a court summons for late payment can be nerve-wracking.

"I get that a lot of this is avoidable and due to laziness, but I also think a part of it is that the parking system here is really messed up," she said.

Siegel isn't the only student frustrated with the current state of College parking. Michael Moriarty '12 also expressed his discontent with the College's current parking rules.

"I think its ridiculous that I can't park in a spot literally on my fraternity premise," he said. Moriarty explained that because other people were parking in his paid spot at Zeta Psi fraternity, he was forced to park in an adjacent spot owned by the College. While he received tickets, his car was not registered, and he was never fined. Eventually, a Safety and Security officer confronted Moriarty, forcing him to register his vehicle.

"I actually had to miss the first week of class this term because I had to pay $605 of parking fines before I could check in," Moriarty said.

Both Moriarty and Siegel said that the administration needs to open parking near residence halls and the library because students frequently need these spots.

"I can't help but feel like a victim of the system," Moriarity said.

Many students also said that the policies aren't clearly conveyed to students.

"I'm livid, and I think it's dumb that the parking rules aren't clearer," a female member of the Class of 2012, who has incurred $400 worth of fines and wished to remain anonymous due to the sensitive nature of the situation, said.

Joey Anthony '12, the former house manager for Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity, explained that Safety and Security had started to monitor, register and fine cars in the fraternity parking lot with no warning.

Similarly, Siegel pointed out that there are parking areas, such as those around Robinson Hall, where it's unclear who has ownership of the spaces. Ticketing policies themselves seem fickle.

"[Safety and Security] didn't used to fine for overnight parking, and now all of a sudden they do and I get a huge fine," the female '12 said.

It is shocking to realize the immense monetary penalty students face because of parking infractions. Perhaps students who receive parking tickets are not intentional violators but rather people suffering because of an ambiguous parking system with few centralized locations.

Yes, it's nice that this campus, which remains devoid of reasonably distanced parking lots, has maintained the classic 18th-century Ivy League landscape. But one has to wonder, with a campus that's growing larger and larger, if it's time for the school to become more accommodating for student cars.

One thing's for sure: If you have a car, watch yourself!