Vox Clamantis

To the Editor:

A recent editorial in The Dartmouth ("Verbum Ultimum: Making Health a Priority," March 2) distorted Dartmouth's commitment to the physical and mental well-being of our student body. Let me be clear: Our students' health both mental and physical is a top priority. Our commitment to students' well-being is evidenced in a number of ways, one of which is the dedication of resources to Dick's House. We are taking a number of important steps related to student health care.

Specifically, we are in the process of adding two mental health counselors, an additional psychiatrist and new athletic training staff. We have launched a search for a new director of student wellness and health promotions. As your Friday news story indicated ("College seeks second alcohol coordinator," March 2), the search is underway for an additional Alcohol and Other Drug Education Program coordinator. We recently increased the number of sexual assault prevention coordinators from one to two.

We have also established the Committee on Student Health, composed of senior administrators from across campus. The committee is charged with recommending to the provost and to me a long-term strategy for an innovative approach to student health care delivery that is cost effective, provides high quality services, increases student access to services and is based on an integrated approach to wellness. This committee will consult with students broadly as part of its charge.

We look forward to working with students on an issue of great importance to many within the Dartmouth community.

Charlotte JohnsonDean of the College