Daily Debriefing

Women and gender studies professor Michael Bronski has received the 2012 Stonewall Book Award from the American Library Association for his nonfiction book "A Queer History of the United States," according to a college press release. The book charts 500 years of American history and chronicles the effect of individuals now identified as LGBT in America, as well as the nation's affect on them, Bronski said in the release. The book focuses particularly on war, a force that has had a large impact on gender identity, according to Bronski. The award offered annually to recognize important English-language works related to the LGBT community will be presented to Bronski at the American Library Association Annual Conference in Anaheim, Calif., in June. Bronski joins a distinguished group of past award winners, including Mark Doty, Paul Monette, Dorothy Allison and Randy Shilts, according to the release.

The Census Bureau released a survey demonstrating thatmore than 30 percent of all American adults hold bachelor's degrees for the first time in American history, The New York Times reported. The survey also suggests that the male advantage has declined over time, and women will soon hold more bachelor's degrees than men, according to The Times. All demographic groups showed increases in college attendance, though the gap separating blacks and Hispanics from whites has only widened in the last decade. Asian-Americans remain the best-educated ethnic group in America, with a majority holding bachelor's degrees and nearly 20 percent holding graduate degrees, according to The Times. The study, which also examined the most popular fields of study, showed that when taken together, engineering and science are the most common subjects for which bachelor's degrees are awarded.

Former Louisiana Gov. Charles "Buddy" Roemer, whogave a lecture at the College last summer as part of the "Leading Voices in Politics and Policy" lecture series and announced his candidacy at the Hanover Inn, has announced his withdrawal from the race for the Republican Party's presidential nomination in order to pursue candidacy as an independent, the Associated Press reported last week. Roemer, who had polled in the low single digits for most of his campaign, said he will seek nominations from Americans Elect a nonpartisan group seeking a third-party candidate and the Reform Party, the AP reported. Roemer plans to continue campaigning against the role of special interests in American politics and will only accept individual donations of $100 or less, according to the AP. Roemer served as Louisiana governor from 1988 to 1992.