Short Answer

Friday's Verbum Ultimum discussed the popularity of corporate recruiting among Dartmouth seniors. Why do you think corporate recruiting is an attractive option for so many Dartmouth students, and is this something to be concerned about?

The dominance of corporate recruiting can largely be attributed to the desire for financial security, particularly in tumultuous economic times. While it is unfortunate that a number of Dartmouth graduates will forego the pursuit of their passions in favor of a stable corporate career, this is their choice. Corporate recruiting only becomes a problem when the College fails to provide adequate resources for students who are uninterested in taking that route.Keshav Poddar

Corporate recruiting is a status symbol of sorts, a show of exclusive bravado among a sea of graduating and possibly frightened seniors. To be concerned about this specific phenomenon is futile. We as a school must understand that if a high percentage of students wasn't turning out for corporate recruiting, it would be for some other activity.Leah Feiger

Students flock to corporate recruiting as a gateway to lucrative careers following graduation. While Dartmouth graduates have opportunities to use their skills to better the lives of others, these usually non-lucrative positions are impractical for those without a stable financial base (read: rich parents), especially in light of the recent economy. Therefore, we need not worry about the popularity of corporate recruiting. The College should, however, invest more energy into instilling graduates with intangible characteristics such as empathy and compassion so that alumni of all professions can contribute to the well-being of others.Yoo Jung Kim

The post-grad real world is around the corner, so it's not surprising that students embrace recruiters for their offer of a predictable future. However, this path risks sacrificing many life-changing experiences that are still far ahead of us, experiences that won't be found in a 23rd- floor cubicle in lower Manhattan.Louis Wheatley

I think corporate recruiting at Dartmouth is sort of like all the new changes implemented on campus in the last year. A small part of it is really awesome and beneficial to the people that use it (King Arthur socially responsible corporations willing to teach you valuable skills), while a large part of it is horrible and should be avoided (new FoCo, new meal plan, new GreenPrint, new Blitz irresponsible financial firms responsible in large part for the economic crash, people only seeking money in their lives after Dartmouth).Jacob Batchelor

Corporate recruiting becomes an attractive option to Dartmouth students because of the high volume of people it involves. It's a complicated and strenuous process that becomes easier to bear when our peers are in the trenches with us. This may be a concern because students that may not have a sincere interest in the field will find themselves going through the motions without true passion. However, for those that are seriously looking for a corporate occupation, being with friends could provide a useful support system.Alesy Iturrey

It is appropriate that the country's best talent would go to the nation's economic powerhouses. There is nothing necessarily wrong with people being driven by their selfish desire for money. The beauty of the free market is that our own greed drives us to inadvertently provide valuable services for society. Selfish captains of industry typically do a great deal more for the world than do bleeding heart community organizers. Results, not noble intentions, are what ultimately matter.Roger Lott

A job obtained through corporate recruiting provides stability students know what they're getting into, even if that means high stress and long work days. Other post-grad options are less structured and the future is more uncertain.Natalie Colaneri