Graduate student arrested in methamphetamine lab bust

A Dartmouth graduate student was arrested for the attempted manufacture of methamphetamine/amphetamine on Sunday, the Union Leader reported.

Randy Lambreghts, 28, whose graduate date is not listed in the Dartmouth Name Directory, allegedly ran a methamphetamine lab from his 3 School St. apartment, according to the Union Leader.

New Hampshire State Police, the Hanover Police Department and a hazardous materials team conducted an investigation into "possible chemicals," at 3 School St., Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone said in an interview with The Dartmouth. "Less than a dozen" Dartmouth graduate students currently live at the residence, according to Giaccone.

Investigators visited the premises, which is situated on a street that also houses undergraduate College students, on Sunday, Giaccone said.

After several items were taken from the apartment during the search for further analysis, Lambreghts a Belgian citizen who has attended Dartmouth as a graduate student for the last seven years was taken into custody, the Union Leader reported.

The search and seizure provided an inconvenience for undergraduates living on School Street, various students said in an interview with The Dartmouth.

Whitney FitzPatrick '13, who lives at the Sigma Delta sorority house on West Wheelock Street, said she was not allowed to park in the Sigma Delt parking lot on Sunday afternoon.

"I came back with my car and tried to turn onto School Street, but I wasn't allowed to," she said. "[The police] just kind of waved me away."

The manufacture of methamphetamine is punishable by up to 20 years in prison, a fine of $300,000 or both, according to New Hampshire State Law.

Lambreghts was held on $20,000 bail and was expected to appear in the Grafton Country Second Circuit Court on Monday, according to the Union Leader.

Giaccone declined to give further comment on the ongoing investigation.

This article will be updated as more details become available.